Thread: Rem 788 in 243 Win

Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,920
    Given: 40,904

Rem 788 in 243 Win

Found a deal on a Rem 788 243 Win for $250, it’s in good shape, FTF from a guy at work. I may have to get this one and use it for trade down the road, it looks like a carbine model. That would give me 3 rifles in 243.
    If we could follow 1 Commandment, 'Love Each Other!', it would be enough! -Apostle Paul

21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

"Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day." —Thomas Jefferson (1807)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,510
    Given: 2,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri70 View Post
    Found a deal on a Rem 788 243 Win for $250, it’s in good shape, FTF from a guy at work. I may have to get this one and use it for trade down the road, it looks like a carbine model. That would give me 3 rifles in 243.
    Nice. Why not keep all three and do mods and upgrades on one while the other two are in service? .243 is a great cartridge and as I recall it the 788 had some real accuracy potential. Maybe a glass bedding job is in order? Be interesting to see what kind of groups it shoots.

Grumpy

Thumbs Up
    Gunbroker has them for $350 and up, I’m may have to get this one, I do love the 243 and it has great ballistics.
    If we could follow 1 Commandment, 'Love Each Other!', it would be enough! -Apostle Paul

21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

"Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day." —Thomas Jefferson (1807)

Thumbs Up
    Gunbroker has them for $350 and up, I’m may have to get this one, I do love the 243 and it has great ballistics.
    If y'all get that one, what glass do you think you'll put on it? I'm partial to fixed 4-6x scopes for 6mm class cartridges, what are your druthers?

Grumpy

Thumbs Up
    It has a Simmons Aztec 4x12 on it now but I’ve been partial to the Nikon 3x9 scoes. It has a heavier barrel than the TC and Marlin I have, no sling studs on this either, maybe wasn’t carried much. The current owner hasn’t shot it but he got in a trade from a preacher. He has 2 rifles in 6mm Rem and was considering selling to one of use at work or taking to a gun show. He has some 224 fmj bullets 38/357 brass I’m picking up too.
    Last edited by Tri70; 04-05-2019 at 07:02 AM.

Thumbs Up
    It has a Simmons Aztec 4x12 on it now but I’ve been partial to the Nikon 3x9 scoes. It has a heavier barrel than the TC and Marlin I have, no sling studs on this either, maybe wasn’t carried much. The current owner hasn’t shot it but he got in a trade from a preacher. He has 2 rifles in 6mm Rem and was considering selling to one of use at work or taking to a gun show. He has some 224 fmj bullets 38/357 brass I’m picking up too.
    Nice. Some Simmons glass is better than its price would indicate, not sure on the Aztec Hunter. Nikon does make some nice glass, even the bottom end made-in-China stuff is decent.

Good luck on it!
    Grumpy

Thumbs Up
    I brought it home with 500 fmj bulltes and a couple hundred pcs of 38/357 brass for $280

Thumbs Up
    The same guy also had about a 1000 38 cal SWC and 3 boxes of 38 HP, 1 box of 224 55 gr fmj he sold me for $30! He thru in some military 556 brass for good measure, didn’t want to buy them because of the crimp but he didn’t reload the 223/556 ammo.

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,172
    Given: 2,461
    Sounds like a good deal.

Thumbs Up
    Took it out for a few shots, it shoots about 1”, not as tight as the Thompson Compass but pretty good. Everything felt solid, it only holds 3 rds in the mag, it was comfortable to shoot and work the action. It was shooting the 75 gr VMax and the 100 gr SP in the same POI.