Thread: A vintage/sort of/ new Revolver

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,627
    Given: 719

A vintage/sort of/ new Revolver

Back in 1985 a Doctor friend of the family contacted me about supplying him with a revolver. He wanted something to take with him on his daily bicycle trips in the woods around his property in Whitefish. I had recently purchased a Lew Horton Limited Edition of 500 Astra .41 Magnum. I've been a fan of this caliber for some time, and particularly the Astra........... built much stronger than the S&W.

Not wanting to give up my Astra, I ordered him a S&W .41 Magnum in a beautiful flat black. When it arrived, to say I was impressed would be an understatement! It was gorgeous and a solid handful of revolver. I called him and arranged for a pickup in town. I supplied him with a box of 210gr cartridges. I advised him to shoot a few rounds when he got home just to familiarize himself with the feel and the recoil. He had bought a shoulder holster for it and left with his prize. I promptly forgot about it. The years rolled by.

As he was a long time friend, we spoke to him about once a month about nothing in particular, then early in 2016 he called me about a compact folding stock 12 gauge for home defense. I happened to have a Mossberg Canadian Police Department shotgun with a 16" barrel and a top folding stock in stainless steel I had obtained in a trade some years back. For those years it had hung on the wall behind the front door. As I had other shotguns, that seemed like a good one for him.

I really don't like selling firearms, but I will trade for something I want. In this case, I didn't much care what the trade was as he was such a good friend to the Family. He asked me if I remembered the .41 Magnum he had purchased in the 80's. I asked why he'd want to trade that one and he told me that when he got home he had fired one round, found it too much for him and had stored it away back in 1985! He brought it in and I was astounded! It was absolutely mint.... Unblemished and in completely new condition!

I told him it wasn't a good trade for him as it was now worth substantially more than that shotgun. He didn't care. He wanted that shotgun and I came to realize that he was the same sort of trader that I am. If it's something I want....... then I do it and damn the difference, so we made the trade and I gave him a load of shotshells to take with him. This is a large, heavy handgun, but man!........ It's a beauty.

Last edited by zfk55; 04-06-2018 at 12:23 PM.
    .. An' ole' Brer' Rabbit..he set in de bushes.. he watch an' he wait.. lay low an' don' say nuffin'

Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,682
    Given: 40,803
    I love it! I need to get a revolver someday!
    If we could follow 1 Commandment, 'Love Each Other!', it would be enough! -Apostle Paul

21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

"Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day." —Thomas Jefferson (1807)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,457
    Given: 672
    Very nice. The 41 is vastly underappreciated. I picked up Ruger Blackhawk in 41 back around Christmas, it shoots like a laser.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,081
    Given: 2,384
    Great deal and a good looking handgun, congrats!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,910
    Given: 756
    Quote Originally Posted by zfk55 View Post
    Back in 1985 a Doctor friend of the family contacted me about supplying him with a revolver. He wanted something to take with him on his daily bicycle trips in the woods around his property in Whitefish. I had recently purchased a Lew Horton Limited Edition of 500 Astra .41 Magnum. I've been a fan of this caliber for some time, and particularly the Astra........... built much stronger than the S&W.

Not wanting to give up my Astra, I ordered him a S&W .41 Magnum in a beautiful flat black. When it arrived, to say I was impressed would be an understatement! It was gorgeous and a solid handful of revolver. I called him and arranged for a pickup in town. I supplied him with a box of 210gr cartridges. I advised him to shoot a few rounds when he got home just to familiarize himself with the feel and the recoil. He had bought a shoulder holster for it and left with his prize. I promptly forgot about it. The years rolled by.

As he was a long time friend, we spoke to him about once a month about nothing in particular, then early in 2016 he called me about a compact folding stock 12 gauge for home defense. I happened to have a Mossberg Canadian Police Department shotgun with a 16" barrel and a top folding stock in stainless steel I had obtained in a trade some years back. For those years it had hung on the wall behind the front door. As I had other shotguns, that seemed like a good one for him.

I really don't like selling firearms, but I will trade for something I want. In this case, I didn't much care what the trade was as he was such a good friend to the Family. He asked me if I remembered the .41 Magnum he had purchased in the 80's. I asked why he'd want to trade that one and he told me that when he got home he had fired one round, found it too much for him and had stored it away back in 1985! He brought it in and I was astounded! It was absolutely mint.... Unblemished and in completely new condition!

I told him it wasn't a good trade for him as it was now worth substantially more than that shotgun. He didn't care. He wanted that shotgun and I came to realize that he was the same sort of trader that I am. If it's something I want....... then I do it and damn the difference, so we made the trade and I gave him a load of shotshells to take with him. This is a large, heavy handgun, but man!........ It's a beauty.

Now, That is a handgun I have been looking for for years. If you want to sell it, let me know. It will make a perfect pair with my 19-4 .357 JP

Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,474
    Given: 2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri70 View Post
    I love it! I need to get a revolver someday!
    If y'all don't have any revolvers at all, I'd suggest you keep your eyes peeled for a S&W M15. It used to be called the "Combat Masterpiece"; 4" tube, .38SPL, blue finish, adjustable sights. Very very accurate, very pleasant to shoot. Another good one for a first timer would be a Colt Diamondback; pretty much the same thing as the S&W, just that its a pony-gun. Harder to find good smiths for Colts - S&W is a bit more robust in my experience and they're easier to work on anyway.

That gun of ZFK55 is a terrific one, but its more expensive to shoot and frankly shooting the maggies a lot is not as pleasant an experience either. Used to go to the range with a few hundred rounds of .38 Spl target loads and an empty coffee can. Just drop the empties in the can as you reload and you don't have to go hunting for your brass afterward. Very pleasant way to spend a Sunday afternoon. The big maggies are fun too, just not "all day fun".

ZFK, don't want to thread-jack you, that gun is a great looker, wish I had a .41 maggie. Doubt I'll get one, due to my financial/work situation though. Enjoy your 6-shooter, hope she shoots as good as she looks!

Grumpy
    Last edited by Grumpy Old Man; 04-08-2018 at 11:47 AM.

Thumbs Up
    We hard cast / Case Hardened bullets and use the hBN system, so it's no more expensive to reload than for a 44/40.
    I found the Astra in that same caliber to be substantially more robust than the S&W, however........... It's also proportionally heavier.
    This one is my personal favorite.

.. An' ole' Brer' Rabbit..he set in de bushes.. he watch an' he wait.. lay low an' don' say nuffin'

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,457
    Given: 672
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    That gun of ZFK55 is a terrific one, but its more expensive to shoot and frankly shooting the maggies a lot is not as pleasant an experience either. Used to go to the range with a few hundred rounds of .38 Spl target loads and an empty coffee can. Just drop the empties in the can as you reload and you don't have to go hunting for your brass afterward. Very pleasant way to spend a Sunday afternoon. The big maggies are fun too, just not "all day fun".

Grumpy
    Reloading is a necessity if one wants to shoot "big bore" handguns in significant volume.

There are recipes for 41 special.

41 cowboy loads are pleasant also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Thumbs Up
    Yup. I have data for the S&W that prints repeatable 2.25" at 50 yards............ from a rest.
    For the Astra snubby, it's repeatable 3" at 25 yards............ from a rest.