Thread: New Remington 870 DM

Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,212
    Given: 40,245

New Remington 870 DM

Remington has a new 870 DM, mag fed receiver, great idea! They offer all gauges 410, 28, 20, 16, 12 and 10. Mags are 3 or 6 rds, barrels are smooth and rifled 14” to 30” long.

https://www.remington.com/shotguns/p...n/model-870-dm
    If we could follow 1 Commandment, 'Love Each Other!', it would be enough! -Apostle Paul

21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

"Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day." —Thomas Jefferson (1807)

Spartan in Training
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 858
    Given: 2,047
    I'm undecided on whether I would buy a new Remington firearm, they sure do seem to be getting alot of bad reviews in recent years. It does look nice though, and I would like a detachable 10rd mag for a short shotgun.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,980
    Given: 66
    Quote Originally Posted by Krat View Post
    I'm undecided on whether I would buy a new Remington firearm, they sure do seem to be getting alot of bad reviews in recent years. It does look nice though, and I would like a detachable 10rd mag for a short shotgun.
    I had that 11-87 I won in a raffle a couple years ago. It's the second Remington I've owned, the other being a 1st gen R51.
    I'm one of the few satisfied owners of the 1st gen R51, but I only fired less than a full mag through it. Complete and total PITA to diss/ass, but once apart, easy to clean.
    The shotgun I had, OTOH, I can say RUST MAGNET FROM HELL. Other than that, FANTASTIC shotgun. Would own again with no hesitation. Except I sold it cause it was collecting a ton of dust and I needed some money to help send the oldest boy to welding school in Colorado. Only thing that would prevent me owning it again, is the lack of need for it that helped lead to me selling it.
    Don't ever think that because I'm peaceful, that I've forgotten how to be violent.

Frequent Visitor to Sparta kfox75's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 89
    Looks interesting, and I also noticed they have it in the 14 inch, non-NFA set up, which is sold as a pistol here in PA. I'll wait for one to show up in the local shops, then check it out at that point. Might make a nice little truck gun option.

Spartan in Training
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 858
    Given: 2,047
    Supposedly, that detachable mag set up can be purchased and installed on any 870, so that could be interesting.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,980
    Given: 66
    I was speaking with a man at a local gun shop and we were discussing the mag fed conversions. He'd heard they weren't very reliable. Something about them not getting along well with the shell lifter.
    Don't ever think that because I'm peaceful, that I've forgotten how to be violent.

Thumbs Up
    that is something I have wondered about since another company started making mag conversions ofr the M500\590\M88 platform.Adaptive tactical addressed this issue, IE the lifter, with their venom kit, which replaces the slide and tube, and the magazine well is on the tube, not the receiver.

On the M500\88\590 platform, the mag tube can be unscrewed from the receiver, and the Venom kit can be screwed in i it's place. In the Venom tube, there is a push plug that moves with the fore end, and strips the shell, backwards, and pushes it to the feeder, when you rack the slide to the rear. As you push the fore end forward again, the plug retracts, the next shell pops up into place, and the lifter raises the shell you just sent home, up into place, for the bolt to push it forward.

Here's the kit, with a 10 round drum: https://adaptivetactical.com/product...wraptor-forend

My wife ordered one for the room mate's 500, and after she gets back from work, we will do the gift exchange ( She works at a local care facility as part of the kitchen staff. $11.75 an hour, plus Holiday pay, so she volunteers for every holiday that comes along. And no, I don't blame her. I miss work, in part, for that reason.), so chances are, I'll be installing it in the next month or so, and we'll be testing it out in the Spring.

In the meantime, here's a video on the system, from Shot Shot a couple years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtDYVNtOndc

And in field review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlnHZCqOPFE&t=114s

now, at the present time, they don't make one for the 870, and if they choose to do so, it will be a "Take it to a smith." type deal, as the M500\590\88 tubes can be unscrewed from the receiver. 870 mag tubes are a press fit from the factory. Just a heads up on that one.

Now, chances are, as you are no longer using the mag tub on the DM, the magazine comes up close to the point of the bolt being able to hook and press the round up and in, and that the DM's box mags are like those on a Marlin 70\795\70P, or an AR7, in that the front of the mag is the feed ramp.

that's my guess, until I can actually get eyes and hands on one at a LGS, to confirm or deny it. s it comes from the factory with that set up, on it, chances are there is a different trigger guard, and possible modifications to the bolt, to make it work that way.

JMO for now, but that would make the most sense.

Thumbs Up
    video review of the 870 DM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoPw43ae-1g

And yes, my prediction was right. the mag is designed with a set of feed lips, and an upward facing ramp.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,212
    Given: 40,245
    It’s a cool idea but I think the Saiga or Keltec KSG would be a better weapon and keep the Rem in original configuration.
    If we could follow 1 Commandment, 'Love Each Other!', it would be enough! -Apostle Paul

21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

"Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day." —Thomas Jefferson (1807)

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri70 View Post
    It’s a cool idea but I think the Saiga or Keltec KSG would be a better weapon and keep the Rem in original configuration.
    Pretty much my take as well. If I find one later on the used market, I would consider it, but it's not exactly new and ground breaking. mossberg beat them to it decades ago.

AKA, the Mossberg Model 200, in either d or k. Box mag fed 12 ga, built on a 195 chasis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ETSTmWOP84