Thread: Hunting season!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,591
    Given: 659

Hunting season!

Hunting season opened this past week here in Montana.
    Latigo checked his k31 hunting load at 125 yards.
    5 rounds........... He's using his K31.

Lat and my Grandson Julian with his .243 will be in the blind here on our place at dawn.

They call it a blind because that's about as good as my focus gets with a camera.

Lat has become a very good rifleman, and that's the result of many hours in the reloading room and his dedication to using his range time. He's become such a dedicated accuracy reloader that sometimes I want to give him a good smack. Every father want's his sons' accomplishments to overshadow his own, and Lat has managed that.

The range here in Lost Prairie allows for 100 to 500 yard shooting, and Latigo doesn't allow that to go unused. Our combined efforts are now concentrated on my Grandson, Julian. He took his first deer last year and, unfortunately he's still one year too young to allow for an Elk tag, and having seen the Meadow Peak Elk herd in the south pasture this spring has him feeling a bit frustrated. The dreams of my children keep me feeling alive.

.. An' ole' Brer' Rabbit..he set in de bushes.. he watch an' he wait.. lay low an' don' say nuffin'

Spartan in Training
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 769
    Given: 1,903
    Good luck!
    Our rifle season for Whitetail opens this coming Saturday. I'm planning to be on the stand in the North part of the state, even thought the high temps are set for the mid 80's......

Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,032
    Given: 39,947
    Nice heard of elk! Good luck to all, our rifle season starts in 2 weeks.
    If we could follow 1 Commandment, 'Love Each Other!', it would be enough! -Apostle Paul

21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

"Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day." —Thomas Jefferson (1807)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,491
    Given: 24,034
    congrats zfk ... you're doing it right

with the job change, move and a new vehicle coming up I decided against any hunting this season. I'll be rolling over 6 days of pto into next year so I can plan 1 fishing and 1 hunting trip next fall
    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Dog's STAG Arms AR15 build
    Dog's AR458SOCOM build

Si vis pacem, para bellum texaswoodworker's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,852
    Given: 4,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri70 View Post
    Nice heard of elk! Good luck to all, our rifle season starts in 2 weeks.
    Ours starts in 3 weeks. Not sure what I'm going to take yet. I wanted a new deer rifle, and now I have the funds. I just don't have the time since I've gotten a new job. Between work and school, I maybe get actual time off (that I have to plan WAY ahead for) once a month. This month is during muzzle loader season. Next month will be in the week of Thanksgiving (rifle season) with no time in between to buy, pick up, mount and zero a scope, and develop a good hunting load. I'll probably end up going with my 30-06 again since it's set up to go now. I might put a new Vortex scope on it if I feel like I have time.

I miss shooting and reloading.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There is none so blind as he who will not see

Thumbs Up
    Deer are on the move crossing hiways and streets, I’ve seen several in my town at night and early morning. Police car hits one at 114 mph!

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2017...-deer-114-mph/
    If we could follow 1 Commandment, 'Love Each Other!', it would be enough! -Apostle Paul

21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

"Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day." —Thomas Jefferson (1807)

Si vis pacem, para bellum texaswoodworker's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,852
    Given: 4,201
    Muzzleloading season was a bust, though I did a damn good job of guessing where the deer were going to travel. Every deer I saw except one was within 25 feet of me. I had two does pass in front of me the first morning. One of them was one of the does that comes up to the house every night to eat. She's used to me so she just ignores me and goes about her business (she ended up staying around me for 20 minutes eating. The other does was smaller, and much darker in color. I didn't have a doe tag though (did not want to risk shooting doe #1 if I didn't recognize her since she is like a pet).

I had a big buck (at least an 8 point) come up to a fence just behind me that evening. Of course it saw me the same time I saw it (could hear it before, but could not tell where it was heading). There was no way to swing the gun around though. He trotted off into the woods and that was that.

This is one of the reasons why I carry a 6" 44 mag during rifle season. That buck was 15 feet from me, and a revolver would have been much more useful in a situation like that than a rifle. I might have been able to slip it out before it ran off.

I had a few run ins with some deer as I was scouting. They have trails all over that area, but I think I know which ones the bucks take now. That 8 point will be in the freezer come Thanksgiving. I think I'm going to buy a tree stand too. The area I hunt in is rough to say the least. The deer don't really go out into the open pasture, and the woods are dense and unforgiving. Steep hills covered in huge rocks, dry creek beds that are 5 feet deep, thick woods and an unGodly amount of thorns. The deer trails are the ONLY way to get through those woods. The high grass also makes it hard to see very far unless you are on top of a hill (and even then you have a very limited field of view). I think a tree stand will make life easier and give me more of an edge.

Oh, and hogs are tearing up the area too.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 11-02-2017 at 02:53 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There is none so blind as he who will not see

Thumbs Up
    Get a buck or hog, whichever opportunity presents itself first.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
    Muzzleloading season was a bust, though I did a damn good job of guessing where the deer were going to travel. Every deer I saw except one was within 25 feet of me. I had two does pass in front of me the first morning. One of them was one of the does that comes up to the house every night to eat. She's used to me so she just ignores me and goes about her business (she ended up staying around me for 20 minutes eating. The other does was smaller, and much darker in color. I didn't have a doe tag though (did not want to risk shooting doe #1 if I didn't recognize her since she is like a pet).

I had a big buck (at least an 8 point) come up to a fence just behind me that evening. Of course it saw me the same time I saw it (could hear it before, but could not tell where it was heading). There was no way to swing the gun around though. He trotted off into the woods and that was that.

This is one of the reasons why I carry a 6" 44 mag during rifle season. That buck was 15 feet from me, and a revolver would have been much more useful in a situation like that than a rifle. I might have been able to slip it out before it ran off.

I had a few run ins with some deer as I was scouting. They have trails all over that area, but I think I know which ones the bucks take now. That 8 point will be in the freezer come Thanksgiving. I think I'm going to buy a tree stand too. The area I hunt in is rough to say the least. The deer don't really go out into the open pasture, and the woods are dense and unforgiving. Steep hills covered in huge rocks, dry creek beds that are 5 feet deep, thick woods and an unGodly amount of thorns. The deer trails are the ONLY way to get through those woods. The high grass also makes it hard to see very far unless you are on top of a hill (and even then you have a very limited field of view). I think a tree stand will make life easier and give me more of an edge.

Oh, and hogs are tearing up the area too.
    You really need a smaller gun especially if they were near you.