Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor Rifles

Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,849
    Given: 39,655

6.5 Creedmoor Rifles

I was reading an article about the new T/C Compass 6.5 Creedmoor as a $399 affordable hunting rifle. It has a lot of great features and very accurate with handloads by the author getting .49 and .77 in 3 shot groups at 100 yds. It has a high BC so less wind drift than a 30-06 and more velocity and energy past 1000 yds.

https://www.outdoorhub.com/reviews/2...compass-rifle/

I started doing a little research on the 270 Win for comparison of ballistics and they are very similar and the 270 Win may edge out the 6.5 Creedmoor at the 1000 yd mark in the same bullet weight of 140 gr.

IMG_3262.jpg
    Last edited by Tri70; 06-15-2017 at 11:24 PM.
    If we could follow 1 Commandment, 'Love Each Other!', it would be enough! -Apostle Paul

21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

"Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day." —Thomas Jefferson (1807)

Thumbs Up
    The 30-06 slows down a bit more with a 150 gr starting 3000fps muzzle compared to the 6.5 Creedmoor and 270 Win. A 1000 yds is a long way to shoot and I don't go over 200 myself occasionally shoot passed that for prairie dogs, maybe 300-400 at the most. But articles always bring the hype of high BC for going long.
    Here some 30-06 Springfield ballistic data.

IMG_3259.jpg
    Last edited by Tri70; 06-15-2017 at 11:20 PM.
    If we could follow 1 Commandment, 'Love Each Other!', it would be enough! -Apostle Paul

21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

"Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day." —Thomas Jefferson (1807)

Thumbs Up
    Calculate for the 243 Win and 105 gr bullet still holds 1200 fps velocity at 1000 yds with a start of 3000 muzzle.
    IMG_3260.jpg

The 6.5 Creedmoor has impressive ballistics but it's good to see the others in the big picture of things. Long range shooters already know this I'm sure. Sometimes I just study the options of different loads for rifles I shoot.
    Last edited by Tri70; 06-15-2017 at 11:21 PM.

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,507
    Given: 711
    Comparing a long action cartridge to a short action cartridge really isn't a good comparison. Now compare a 6.5-06 to a 270 or 30-06 and you'll see the difference. Or you could use the 6.5x55 Swede for comparison also.

It's funny, the 6.5 Creedmoor has been on the market for 10 years, I've been shooting it for 7 or 8 years, but the firearms industry acts like it is a new cartridge.
    There are better performing cartridges out there, but not by much.

Thumbs Up
    The 6.5 Creedmoor has fuel the AR10 market too, prices haven't dropped much on AR10 parts like the AR15 parts.

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri70 View Post
    The 6.5 Creedmoor has fuel the AR10 market too, prices haven't dropped much on AR10 parts like the AR15 parts.
    The AR10 style rifles will never come down in price like the AR15 market. Nothing about them is unified, too many different styles of manufacturing. DPMS styles have the largest aftermarket available.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,270
    Given: 616
    Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    The AR10 style rifles will never come down in price like the AR15 market. Nothing about them is unified, too many different styles of manufacturing. DPMS styles have the largest aftermarket available.
    Did you see the post I made in the deal of the day thread, an AR 10 in .308 for $599 plus shipping, FFL, etc.?

With the possible exception of very high end, most firearm prices have come way down.

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Did you see the post I made in the deal of the day thread, an AR 10 in .308 for $599 plus shipping, FFL, etc.?

With the possible exception of very high end, most firearm prices have come way down.
    That's a good deal if you're wanting a boring common mil-surp ammo shooting style AR. Go price the rifles in 243 - 260 - 6.5 CM - or 7mm-08,or price the parts to build a large frame AR platform. It will still cost you well north of $1k for those.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,333
    Given: 23,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri70 View Post
    I was reading an article about the new T/C Compass 6.5 Creedmoor as a $399 affordable hunting rifle. It has a lot of great features and very accurate with handloads by the author getting .49 and .77 in 3 shot groups at 100 yds. It has a high BC so less wind drift than a 30-06 and more velocity and energy past 1000 yds.

https://www.outdoorhub.com/reviews/2...compass-rifle/

I started doing a little research on the 270 Win for comparison of ballistics and they are very similar and the 270 Win may edge out the 6.5 Creedmoor at the 1000 yd mark in the same bullet weight of 140 gr.
    few people, if any, should be taking shots at the 1000yd mark on game
    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Dog's STAG Arms AR15 build
    Dog's AR458SOCOM build

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    few people, if any, should be taking shots at the 1000yd mark on game
    It's seams like the selling point for the round, hopefully it's a competition shooters aspect. I don't shoot that far and have no place to practice for competition. At 500 yds most rifle calibers do well 243, 270, 308, 30-06.

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    I'm going to build another 6.5 Creedmoor rifle,it will probably be my last complete build. It will also be my most expensive build.
    I have the barrel setting in the closet,a Shilen 26" stainless select match 1-8 twist.
    The action that I'll probably buy will be the Shilen DGR action that is produced by Stiller Actions for Shilen. It's threaded for Savage barrels,so I can quickly install/swap and head space barrels onto the action.
    For a trigger,I'll probably buy a Bix'n Andy trigger. They are about as good as you can buy!
    The stock/chassis is still to be decided- It will either be a Manners stock or a KRG Whiskey 3 chassis unless I find something else.
    Optics will be determined when I have the rest of the build bought,but it will be a top shelf scope for this rifle.

I still want to buy a Mausingfield action,but using the Shilen DGR action will cost $600 less,and I really don't need to have controlled round feeding on a long range target/hunting rifle.

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    I bought the Shilen DGR action today! I'll go over to Shilen in Ennis,TX. next Friday and pick it up.

Let the games begin!!!