Thread: London high rise fire

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,632
    Given: 0

London high rise fire

This is just horrible.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the families affected by this tragedy.

Side note..... must have been good architecture, building is still standing from an absolutely MASSIVE fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,088
    Given: 40,015
    Very sad indeed, 12 dead and 78 injured.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/13/europe...ire/index.html
    If we could follow 1 Commandment, 'Love Each Other!', it would be enough! -Apostle Paul

21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

"Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day." —Thomas Jefferson (1807)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,524
    Given: 24,072
    amazing that only 12 people perished ... RIP people
    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Dog's STAG Arms AR15 build
    Dog's AR458SOCOM build

Spartan in Training
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 796
    Given: 1,947
    Really bad deal, I think the death toll is up to 17 now, but is said to surely rise once crews can get inside and search the building. I have read a couple of different stories that have mentioned up to 600 people lived there and only 250 have been accounted for.

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    amazing that only 12 people perished ... RIP people
    London police just raised that number to 30 so far......😟

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by 1turkeyhunter View Post
    London police just raised that number to 30 so far......��
    saw that ... guessing it's going to be worse
    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Dog's AR458SOCOM build

Thumbs Up
    Looks like the count has reached 79 so far and counting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumbs Up

Cladding Fueled Fires Before London

http://www.firefighternation.com/art...re-london.html

Emergency workers walk on the roof of the fire-gutted Grenfell Tower in London, Friday, June 16, 2017, after a fire engulfed the 24-storey building on Wednesday morning. Grief over a high-rise tower blaze that killed dozens of people turned to outrage Friday amid suggestions that materials used in a recent renovation project may have contributed to the disaster. (AP Photo/Matt Dunham)

For the last decade, engineers specializing in fire safety have worried about the hidden danger posed by the kind of insulated metallic skin that transported flames up a high-rise apartment building in London, killing dozens.

Panels of the armor-like "cladding" have become a popular facade on tall buildings worldwide, both for their sleek look and energy-saving virtues. They also have helped fuel spectacular infernos in the Middle East, Europe, Asia and the United States.

Some fire experts worry that, with energy efficiency a priority worldwide, the proliferation of "green" buildings has the unintended consequence of fanning fire danger. Though cladding can be flame-resistant, the result can be deadly when it is not.

"The good intent of sustainability translates into a potential fire safety problem," said Brian Meacham, a fire protection engineering professor at Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Massachusetts. His concerns began to crystalize in 2010, he said, when he was in South Korea presenting a paper on new technology and fire safety and a cladded high-rise burned.

At London's Grenfell Tower, flames raced with alarming speed up 24 stories of cladding in which a plastic core was sandwiched between thin sheets of aluminum. That composite is one of several kinds of exterior paneling that helps moderate inside temperatures, saving on energy needed for heating and cooling.

The tower's aging concrete facade received the face-lift last year as part of a 10 million pound ($13 million) publicly funded refurbishment effort aimed, in part, at making the building more energy efficient.

The tower, home to as many as 600 people, burned Wednesday. At least 58 people were confirmed or presumed dead, a tally that could rise.
    there is nothing "hidden" about the dangers of super insulated cladding. It has been known for decades that foam based insulation is highly flammable.

"We're going to save the planet. Even if it kills you" ... Glimate Change advocates
    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Dog's AR458SOCOM build