Thread: Quince tree fruit

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,363
    Given: 1,507

Quince tree fruit

Anyone have any experience with Quince tree fruit? I have never farmed it myself but will be having 1150 bareroot trees delivered within the next couple of weeks. The ground has been leveled and mowed. I will spray the remaining weeds in the next couple of days. I will also be taking delivery of, 10,000' drip line along with emmiters and stakes. Free room and board for those wishing to have the opportunity of experiencing this wonderful once in a lifetime project. The trees will be planted 8'o.c with the rows 14' apart. Fire blight is a serious concern as that can kill the trees. The trees must be sprayed every three days when moisture is present during bloom. After bloom when the temps get above 80 degrees F. there will still be signs of the blight, at which time it must be cut out of the trees with pruning shears. The shears must be dipped in chlorine after every cut so as not to spread the blight. The picking and packing must be done by hand so as not to bruise the fruit, ( the skin is very thin). The fruit itself is very bitter. People make candy and jam out of it. The process is a pain in the Azz. My wife has made jam a couple of times and it is not her favorite thing to do, but it tastes so good. I have a friend whom owns a packing house and has 5 acres of these trees. He talked me into this project.
    Gravedigger

Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,580
    Given: 40,771
    Sounds like a lot of work, good luck! It may increase the deer hunting on your farm, opportunities for hunt leasing!
    If we could follow 1 Commandment, 'Love Each Other!', it would be enough! -Apostle Paul

21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

"Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day." —Thomas Jefferson (1807)

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Finally done just weed spray and irrigation and then summer pruning. I do miss the gun room.IMG_0353.jpg
    Gravedigger

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,053
    Given: 2,353
    Awesome, do you expect to get any fruit the first year?

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Krat View Post
    Awesome, do you expect to get any fruit the first year?
    No fruit to the packing house til Aug-Sept 2019
    Gravedigger

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,053
    Given: 2,353
    Good luck, keep us posted on how you make out with fighting the blight.

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Krat View Post
    Good luck, keep us posted on how you make out with fighting the blight.
    I have to spray for blight once the trees bloom. I will be cutting the bloom off this first year so I will not have to spray unless of course I miss cutting some.
    Gravedigger

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by bradam View Post
    Finally done just weed spray and irrigation and then summer pruning. I do miss the gun room.IMG_0353.jpg
    Summer pruning has started and almost complete til the next go around in another 6-8 weeks. Before and after. IMG_0377.jpgIMG_0376.jpg
    Gravedigger

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Well I just finished pruning the trees for the third time. I also roped the tops. Have weed sprayed the hose lanes 4' on each side and am getting the irrigation going. No time for anything. As the saying goes, "This to shall soon pass".
    Gravedigger