Thread: It's my "other" birthday, oorah.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,927
    Given: 66

It's my "other" birthday, oorah.

"Back in 1775, my Marine Corps came alive!"

Born in a bar, Tun Tavern, and have made homes of bars ever since.

10 November, 1775, a beautiful and historic day for war and warriors.
    Samuel Nicholas began recruiting for two battalions of Continental Marines, soldiers trained to fight not only on land, but on ships too. The owner of Tun Tavern was the Continental Marines chief recruiter, with recruiting done there and at the Conestoga Waggon/Waggen, yet another tavern owned by the Nicholas family. Interestingly, with his ownership and regular patronage of taverns, Nicholas was a former Quaker. Of course, taverns weren't just a place to go and get shit faced and brawl back then. Depending on the ownership/management, it was more a bar with an inn, or an inn with a bar, a place for the weary traveler to enjoy a warm meal, bath, bed, and (sometimes) a warm woman who may or may not have all her teeth and may or may not leave her customer wishing he'd waited for that bath. Still on the list of things Devil Dogs love.

Considered pretty much the Navy's dedicated fighting force back then, as sailors had to both sail and fight, having an additional force to fight and sail was a large advantage. One tactic of the Continental Marines employed which earned the reputation of being expert riflemen, was to climb into the upper rigging of wave and battle tossed ships to pick off officers and commanders on other wave and battle tossed ships with smoothbore muskets and eventually rifles.

The Continental Marines were disbanded in 1783 and rose from the dead on 11 July 1798 because Marines are hard AF to kill and harder AF to keep 'em from coming back for more.

To this day, Marines still help with shipboard duties when underway and rain death, destruction and damnation on our enemies wherever found, with the awesome power of the US Navy at our backs and flanks.

Happy Birthday to the US Marines. Semper Fidelis.

Don't ever think that because I'm peaceful, that I've forgotten how to be violent.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,491
    Given: 24,034
    Happy birthday Marines ... thank you for your service

th.jpg
    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Dog's STAG Arms AR15 build
    Dog's AR458SOCOM build

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,049
    Given: 4,075
    Happy Birthday Marines
    Long Range, the next best thing to being there. If you are between 100 and 700 yards my Howa will determen your time and place of death. opaww

Lo there do I see my Father, Lo there do I see my mother, my brothers and sisters, Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning, They beckon to me come take my place in Valhalla, where the brave live for ever.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,491
    Given: 24,034
    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Dog's STAG Arms AR15 build
    Dog's AR458SOCOM build