Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Beer/Libation thread.

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 390
    Given: 43
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Jack View Post
    SSG Doc, Lad, have you no concern for your health? No fat meat, no chili peppers no single malt whisky? Green beans cold fish and flat beer will surely be your demise. Repent now!!!
    To my defense Salmon is a "fatty" fish and the butter, olive oil and two cheeses in the risotto should make up for the evils of the rice and greens.

The next night Carnitas were the meal, with peppers and onions. I skipped the beer that night, but my buddy had a Pacifico with lime.

The single malt highland scotch comes out on rare occasions when I feel I need to be snatched back from the edge of death and back into good health.

For me variety is the key word in my diet and favorite recipies. After traveling to several countries by submarine I've found my flavor palate has expanded considerably. I hunt down recipies to try to duplicate many of the favorite meals I've had. Can't find a good local supply of haggis to try to copy Country chicken I had in Edinburgh. I know it's not quite Irish, there Jack, but my Irish experience is limited to the airport in Shannon. I do appreciate a little Jameson's in coffee with some Bailey's which I tried on a layover there. I also understand the Irish distain for Scotch enough that the Scots don't use the 'e' when they spell Whisky, While the Irish do.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 90
    Well Ok you are forgiven. You can order ground internal organs and oatmeal AKA Haggis from a number sources. Shannon airport is nice but not a center of Celtic cooking. Go into town. Bunratty Castle is a neat 15th Century village. As for spelling Whisky it is more about England.

http://www.shannonheritage.com/Bunra...dievalBanquet/

Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,537
    Given: 40,723
    Jim Bean Apple is very good!

C58EDFE2-43EF-43D5-89AE-137BC4B5B4CD.jpg
    If we could follow 1 Commandment, 'Love Each Other!', it would be enough! -Apostle Paul

21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

"Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day." —Thomas Jefferson (1807)

Si vis pacem, para bellum texaswoodworker's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,943
    Given: 4,212
    Zombie thread alert.

Since 2015, I have gotten pretty familiar with quite a few alcohols. All I can say is, other than some of the fruitier ales, I cannot stand beer whatsoever. Even "good" German beer. I have found that I am definitely a fan of a good whisk(e)y though. Maker's Mark is my go to, but Jameson is damn good too. I've been wanting to try some Monkey Shoulder and Highland Park.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There is none so blind as he who will not see

Thumbs Up
    Received: 16,032
    Given: 24,617
    ever since the gallbladder surgery in Aug 16' i have had a love/hate relationship with beer

i still love beer

but i hate the wreckage it causes in my tummy
    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Dog's STAG Arms AR15 build
    Dog's AR458SOCOM build

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,027
    Given: 2,314
    TWW if you like Makers give the Evan Williams 1783 a try, I think it is better and half the price.
    Lately my go to Kentucky has been Benchmark No.8, made at the same distillery as Pappy and Buffalo Trace and very smooth on ice. At $8.99 for a 750ml it is a bit emabarassing to purchase but I get over it pretty quick.

Thumbs Up
    Love this beer, very smooth drinking!

94A643F2-91C2-4FA0-ACF5-3EE4F4860B4E.jpg
    If we could follow 1 Commandment, 'Love Each Other!', it would be enough! -Apostle Paul

21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

"Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day." —Thomas Jefferson (1807)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,465
    Given: 2,740
    Not really a beer drinker, prefer sake in that role.

Casual after a hard day at work drink? Rum. Favorite is Pusser's Navy Rum.

More serious libations? In whiskey I prefer the Japanese ones, older Yamazaki single malts are stellar but $$$$$, have started playing with blended like Nikka. Will probably get a bottle of Sensei and try it when $$$ permits (been a bad few months). A lot more affordable is a good Russian vodka. Sometimes I go Stolichnaya, sometimes I go Russian Standard. Would love to get a bottle of Putinka ("Putin's vodka") just to put on the shelf (we had Billy's Beer, they got Putin's Vodka, go figure). Other serious Japanese brew I like is shochu ("Japanese vodka") but its hard to get in this neck of the woods. When I lived in Japan, shochu or whiskey was what the salarymen got hammered on, usually not sake.

Never got into fine wines, about the closest I come to being a wine lover is an occasional bottle of Sangria. Guess that's like soda pop to the fine wine guys.

Grumpy
    Last edited by Grumpy Old Man; 07-21-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,422
    Given: 662
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri70 View Post
    Love this beer, very smooth drinking!

94A643F2-91C2-4FA0-ACF5-3EE4F4860B4E.jpg

11.2 ounce bottles' boo, hisssss!

Thumbs Up
    Going for another dark brew, not as smooth as the Warstein, the Dirty Bas-tard is not bad, full 12oz. Also this one is 8.5% on alcohol.

46B333F3-93C4-420F-9593-DAF8ADEC9845.jpg
    Last edited by Tri70; 07-29-2018 at 08:45 AM.

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Not sure if you guys get Revolver brand beer up in your neck of the woods Tri, but if you see it try the Blood and Honey. If you like dark beer, you would like that one.

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Krat View Post
    Not sure if you guys get Revolver brand beer up in your neck of the woods Tri, but if you see it try the Blood and Honey. If you like dark beer, you would like that one.

I see see if I can find that one and try it.

Thumbs Up
    Tried another dark, Founders Porter, pretty smooth like the Warstein dunkle.
    8D38A397-5700-4986-8689-F04832D3B1C2.jpg

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,694
    Given: 0
    Can't say I have ever been much of a beer guy, just never found one I like the taste of. I go thru phases of different drinks....... I have been drinking moonshine for a while now, but just changed it up a month or so ago to a stout rum and coke. Nuttin fancy, but Cruzan 151 packs a pretty good punch.
    I'll enjoy this till I move on to something new......

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,465
    Given: 2,740
    Quote Originally Posted by 1turkeyhunter View Post
    Can't say I have ever been much of a beer guy, just never found one I like the taste of. I go thru phases of different drinks....... I have been drinking moonshine for a while now, but just changed it up a month or so ago to a stout rum and coke. Nuttin fancy, but Cruzan 151 packs a pretty good punch.
    I'll enjoy this till I move on to something new......

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    I usually go with Sailor Jerrys when I'm mixing Rum and Coke. Have to try out that Cruzan 151 one 'a these days though.

Grumpy

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    I bet that 151 does pack a punch

Thumbs Up
    This week I’m enjoying Michelob Amberock, very smooth taste taste for a dark!

29D271E9-1727-400B-AD83-97C3D75E8B5E.jpg

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Shiner Bock for me this week.