Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Beer/Libation thread.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,886
    Given: 862

Favorite Beer/Libation thread.

We have a thread regarding the beer we hate so I figured we needed one extolling the virtues of out favorite adult beverages.

Si vis pacem, para bellum texaswoodworker's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,944
    Given: 4,212
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There is none so blind as he who will not see

Thumbs Up
    I am a big fan of Belgium style beers. Unibroue is a great brewery out of Canada and they make an assortment of Belgian style ales. IMHO La Fin Du Monde is the best and with a 9.0 ABV will put your **** in the dirt if you over indulge. I would like to start aging it but I tend to drink it as soon as I get my grubby hands on it. For those of you that like to grill it is awesome with grilled meats. Anything from the brewery is worth checking out.

http://www.unibroue.com/en/beers/family/actuelles

A Coors Longneck is my favorite summer/fishing beer. Has to be ice coold and never light. Also a fan of High Life.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 16,044
    Given: 24,626
    Berkshire Brewing Company ... just about anything they craft
    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Dog's STAG Arms AR15 build
    Dog's AR458SOCOM build

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
    It is strange I used to love root beer now I hate it. Cant even stand the smell.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,751
    Given: 1,928
    o-SHINER-BOCK-facebook.jpg

That is all you need to know.
    Disclamer: All views expressed by me are mine. They are not angry nor are they anyone else's views.

Thumbs Up
    Evan Williams 1783 is my go to whiskey. Served on the Rocks.

I also have two fifths of Pappy that I am holding onto.

Regular in Sparta
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,170
    Given: 51
    Love me some Belgian beers, but for a good mass produced beer, Shiner is my fav. Like the Bock, Light, and Original.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,049
    Given: 4,080
    What ever I have in my hand
    Long Range, the next best thing to being there. If you are between 100 and 700 yards my Howa will determen your time and place of death. opaww

Lo there do I see my Father, Lo there do I see my mother, my brothers and sisters, Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning, They beckon to me come take my place in Valhalla, where the brave live for ever.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,432
    Given: 668
    Maker's Mark.

Dos Equis, lager and amber.

Killian's red.

Boag's

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,074
    Given: 949
    deleted
    Last edited by hawkguy; 08-22-2015 at 11:47 PM.

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 390
    Given: 43
    Glenmorangie 18 yr single select malt Highland Scotch Whisky is one of my favorites. I drink rarely and in small quantities, so I try to make it worthwhile.

In Wine I found a great vintage in Germany. Ludger Vit, Dornfelder. The 2008 Kabinet was an award winner. I brought a few bottles home. Dornfelder is a German developed grape that is cold tolerant and make a nice red wine that is very reminiscent of a Cabernet or high grade Burgundy.

In beers I thend to like Stouts, Dark ales and porters. Deschuttes, Black Butte Porter is pretty good.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,207
    Given: 4,026
    I like my Miller Genuine Draft. I'm a simple man with simple taste. I have in the past liked a good German Dark, although I couldn't tell you what it is. All I know is lunch time when I went to lunch with 2 of the German inspectors atNahbollenbach Army Depot where our packing shed was when I was in the army. (we were turned into warehouseman for about 7 months due to the 1971 East Coast Dock Strike) Anyway these two inspectors invited me to lunch with them so I decided to go with them. They bought me a good dark beer and then another, oops lunch is over lets get the heck out of Dodge. Ok I got back a wee bit late, luckily nobody could tell due to the fact we park our forklifts on the loading dock before we go to lunch so they can be gassed up when we come back. Anyway I got on my forklift and I knew I had a good Buzz. It's one of my fond Buzzed memories. from my last Teen year!

"If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by." -- Sun Tzu

Ken

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    I'm going to add a beer to my list. Tonight I tried a Imperial Russian Stout from a Seattle brewing company, called Two Beers.

This is not a crisp, refreshment for after mowing the lawn, kind of a beer. This is a sit down when the air has a little chill and you want an extra course with your meal, kind if a beer. It is a very dark stout with very little carbonation. When served cold, the beer is on the sweet and rich side. Lots of rich, dark and malty, goodness. Very low on the bitterness scale. It hints at some fruitcake like sweet readiness, and has chocholate and coffee overtones. This is an awesome beer. A little goes a long way, because it us rich and filling and is rated at 12% alcohol by volume. It also cost me $10 for a bottle, though it is a large bottle.

As I said before, I don't drink often and I don't drink much, so I like to drink quality. This fits. I was cooking and serving cedar plank grilled salmon, and mushroom and rosemary risotto for friends tonite. This beer did not disappoint on the flavor scale with the rest of the meal.

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
    I'm going to add a beer to my list. Tonight I tried a Imperial Russian Stout from a Seattle brewing company, called Two Beers.

This is not a crisp, refreshment for after mowing the lawn, kind of a beer. This is a sit down when the air has a little chill and you want an extra course with your meal, kind if a beer. It is a very dark stout with very little carbonation. When served cold, the beer is on the sweet and rich side. Lots of rich, dark and malty, goodness. Very low on the bitterness scale. It hints at some fruitcake like sweet readiness, and has chocholate and coffee overtones. This is an awesome beer. A little goes a long way, because it us rich and filling and is rated at 12% alcohol by volume. It also cost me $10 for a bottle, though it is a large bottle.

As I said before, I don't drink often and I don't drink much, so I like to drink quality. This fits. I was cooking and serving cedar plank grilled salmon, and mushroom and rosemary risotto for friends tonite. This beer did not disappoint on the flavor scale with the rest of the meal.
    Imperial stouts are wonderful. I will have to try to find the one you are talking about when winter comes.

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
    Imperial stouts are wonderful. I will have to try to find the one you are talking about when winter comes.
    I bought a few at Costco, of all places, and set some aside for fall/winter. These stouts tend to actually improve with a little aging.

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
    I bought a few at Costco, of all places, and set some aside for fall/winter. These stouts tend to actually improve with a little aging.
    I have a few aging myself. Barley wines and Belgiums also age great.

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Axxe555 View Post
    my father tried his hand at making beer many years ago. this was when they still had the glass two quart soda bottles. we drank lots of Pepsi, so when he decided to poor it off in bottles, he used those glass Pepsi bottles and put them in the fridge.

well day after i got home from school, i grabbed a bottle, thinking it was Pepsi. worst tasting beer i ever drank in my life!

my father does many things quite well, but making beer ain't one of them!
    One of the other Chiefs I work with at the hospital has been brewing for over 10 years. I helped (most ly stood around and learned) him make a egg nog stout, last November, so that it would be ready by Christmas. The big things I took away from the brew session were:
    Having all equipment absolutely clean is imperative.
    Having precise notes with your recipe is important.
    Following the recipe to include getting temperatures and times is important.
    Science is your friend and using the appropriate tools is invaluable, such as ph testing equipment and specific gravity testing equipment.
    It is fun to taste the different stages and see how the character of the wort changes toward beer even before the fermenting process begins.
    Controlling temp during the fermentation process is also important.

Biggest thing is paying attention to detail, and being patient.

The beer turned out to be excellent and was served at the CPO Christmas dinner.

Most important lesson of all...
    It's good to have a friend who has already spent the money and time getting all the right equipment and perfecting recipies.

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    To help folks spot the Two Beers Imperial Stout I mentioned, here is a pic of the bottle:

I split one of these with a friend who was visiting with his wife from Georgia (it's a 2 pint bottle and a little goes a long way at 12% alcohol).

It was served with cedar plank grilled steelhead salmon ( rubbed with olive oil, fresh dill, Rosemary and lemon), and wild mushroom and Rosemary risotto.

A very rich and comforting meal with a similar beer enjoyed with great friends. It was an awesome evening.

In the Fall this may go well with some of my goulash soup and fresh crusty bread on a cold evening.
    Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 06-06-2015 at 10:51 AM.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 90
    SSG Doc, Lad, have you no concern for your health? No fat meat, no chili peppers no single malt whisky? Green beans cold fish and flat beer will surely be your demise. Repent now!!!