Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog's AR458SOCOM

Thumbs Up
    Received: 16,055
    Given: 24,641

Dog's AR458SOCOM

So by know you know i have a problem ... an affliction really ... a terrible disease ... for these damned, cursed AR's

With my first AR15 built almost immediately I started looking around for another one. But me being me I didn't want just another AR15 ... this one had to be different ... not funny ha ha different ... it had to be Oh My Fekking Gawd different!

Enter the .458SOCOM ... developed by Marty ter Weeme, founder of Teppo Jutsu LLC in 2000. The impetus for the cartridge was an informal discussion with the US special operations community regarding the apparent lack of effectiveness of the 5.56 x 45 cartridge in recent conflicts. In particular, the reports from members of Task Force Ranger in Mogadishu, Somalia that multiple shots were required to neutralize members of the opposing force led to the request to develop a new cartridge that would deliver far more energy from short barrels at relatively short distances.

One look at the cartridge and I was instantly hooked ... 556_458_2.jpg

Further research into the .458SOCOM revealed that this cartridge will work with an AR15 Mil Spec lower receiver and standard GI mags. What was required was a barrel chambered in .458SOCOM, a modified bolt and an enhanced ejection port. These modifications being beyond my abilities I contacted Teppo Jutsu and began discussions for a complete upper. I received a lot of helpful information and some great guidance from Marty and after a few back and forth emails we settled on final build specs.

For this build I chose to use a billet receiver set from Mega Arms ... and I could not have been more pleased. The quality and robustness of the set is incredible with the added feature of a machined oversized trigger guard. As with my STAG Arms AR15 I built the lower receiver for my AR458SOCOM. This time around the process went a lot smoother and a lot faster ... about 20 minutes from start to finish. During the build I did manage to develop a nifty little trick to prevent the pivot pin detent spring from launching the pivot pin detent into orbit ... not something I ever experienced but something I had come across in my internet research. So here it is free of charge ...

S5031994.jpg

A punch tool or even a drill bit will fit perfectly inside the pivot pin hole. Insert the tool and work it over the detent spring and detent pin. With the tool retaining the pin and spring you can then work the pivot pin in place without the spring launching the pin into space.

While waiting on the modified upper, bolt and barrel to be completed by Marty I picked up some additional components to round out the build - Ace Skeleton stock, Wolff buffer Spring and H2 buffer, Ergo Pistol Grip, Rock River Arms NM 2-Stage trigger, Badger Ordinance Generation 2 tactical latch, Yankee Hill Oversize take down pins and a Buriss bipod.

S5031996.jpg

Once the upper arrived from Teppo Jutsu it was a matter of mating it up with the lower and viola ... an AR458SOCOM!

S5032001.jpg

Now there was more than just one reason why I chose the .458SOCOM for this build. Yes it is kick-azzed kewl to light this baby off at the range and have people looking around for the cannon that shot it ... but there is more to it than that. One reason was that I wanted a shorter range caliber with devastating knock down power. This round has been used all over North America and in Africa to take down the some of the largest game that walks the land. Second, I wanted a caliber that would force me to get into reloading. The .458SOCOM does this for me and a whole lot more.

As a compliment to my STAG Arms AR15 I couldn't be more pleased and feel that from 0-400yds I have myself well equipped for any and all encounters
    Last edited by Dog; 03-02-2013 at 09:19 PM.
    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Dog's STAG Arms AR15 build
    Dog's AR458SOCOM build

Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,848
    Given: 12,119
    Very nice. I bet that thing hits like a ton of bricks.

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
    Very nice. I bet that thing hits like a ton of bricks.
    it rocks ... and the recoil is not what one would think ... easily controlled with the help of the 18" stainless steel heavy barrel. I have a few hundred cases of once fired brass available to start reloading plus I managed to pick up a couple of new round loads during this latest panic frenzy ... it would appear the supply of .458SOCOM has not been as affected as say ... 5.56Nato

with the help of some reloading data available through Teppo Jutsu and some trial and error I'm hoping to dial in a nice round in the 350-400gr range with 100yd sub MOA results
    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Dog's AR458SOCOM build

Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 6
    So THATS what I heard when I was taking the trash out the other day

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMan View Post
    So THATS what I heard when I was taking the trash out the other day
    you'll be hearing a lot more of this coming year ... going to be testing out different loads against various media ... more later
    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Dog's AR458SOCOM build

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,113
    Given: 974
    If you don't mind my asking, what did the upper run you? Did you swap out the buffer spring or is the stock spring heavy enough for the .458?
    Hey Claire, are we still at that awkward stage?

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by bkt View Post
    If you don't mind my asking, what did the upper run you? Did you swap out the buffer spring or is the stock spring heavy enough for the .458?
    The whole package - purchased the billet receiver set from http://www.rainierarms.com/ and had Marty ter Weeme of http://teppojutsu.com/ do the modifications for the bolt face and ejection port ... all for $1150

At the time I had the upper done through Teppo Jutsu they were closing shop and clearing out the last of their orders, I paid $550 for the upper work and Kreiger barrel. The 458SOCOM will run with the standard AR15 buffer and spring but I found the upgraded spring and a heavy duty H2 buffer to be a little smoother.
    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Dog's AR458SOCOM build

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,310
    Given: 181
    I've been wanting to do a 458 ever since I first seen them, but the funding just isn't there. One of these days though, I will own one. That is a beautiful rifle you have there, sir. I bet she shoots like a dream and hits the target like a mule.

Thumbs Up
    When I was looking into doing a custom build AR in another caliber I pretty much discarded the cost factors. I didn't intend for this to be a SHTF rilfe or a urban combat rifle ... I have my STAG Ar15 for that. Long range wasn't a factor as I have my AR10 for that ... so basically my criteria was I wanted a kick ass round that will knock shit down ... the 458SOCOM does that beautifuly.

With custom work done by Marty and the Kerieger barrel this is my most accurate AR I have ... sub moa at 100yds
    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Dog's AR458SOCOM build

Thumbs Up
    Received: 374
    Given: 617
    Dog, great job on your build... looks sweet!
    Jeremy

Member: NRA

The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!” – Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thumbs Up
    thanks ... with the weather and work I haven't had a chance to get her out yet this year
    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Dog's AR458SOCOM build

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,688
    Given: 765
    That's nice Dog. Did you go with a Carbine length gas system or a Mid length?
    When I bought my RRA 458 upper a couple years ago,I decided to go with the Mid length gas system. A lot of guy's have complained about having cycling problems with the Mid's,but mine has always cycled fine. I have never fired a single factory round out of mine,I handload only for it.
    I have really good results with Reloader 7,H-110,and Lil Gun powders,and mainly shoot 300 gr - 350 gr bullets,but also load up the 405 gr bullets. Recoil wakes up a bit with the 405's,but the lighter bullets are pretty light on recoil.

RRA Mid-length upper with a Hogue rifle length handguard,DPMS lower with RRA LPK and 2 stage NM trigger,Hogue grip,ACE stock with homemade leather wrap,Burris PEPR mount with a Weaver 3-15x50 Super Slam scope.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 374
    Given: 617
    Nice setup!
    Jeremy

Member: NRA

The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!” – Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thumbs Up
    Received: 836
    Given: 1,217
    I wonder if the .458 SOCOM is compatible with SureFire magazines. Ooooh
    No offense and none taken.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,414
    Given: 2,411
    I am in the planning stages for my second build right now and have not decided on caliber. The .458 sounds intriguing, though I am a little cautious of it because it is so uncommon. The other caliber I am considering right now is 6.8 SPC.

My intention is to have a good brush gun for pigs and the small deer we have around here, so the .458 would be too much gun for the deer (no such thing as too much gun for the pigs though), but seriously cool in any event.
    I already have a Colt milspec lower and a bunch of parts, including probably enough to put together a complete 5.56 upper which I would want to keep around just in case.

What advice would youall offer when considering the .458???

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,310
    Given: 181
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
    I am in the planning stages for my second build right now and have not decided on caliber. The .458 sounds intriguing, though I am a little cautious of it because it is so uncommon. The other caliber I am considering right now is 6.8 SPC.

My intention is to have a good brush gun for pigs and the small deer we have around here, so the .458 would be too much gun for the deer (no such thing as too much gun for the pigs though), but seriously cool in any event.
    I already have a Colt milspec lower and a bunch of parts, including probably enough to put together a complete 5.56 upper which I would want to keep around just in case.

The 458 is a hell of a round but the ammo availibility could prove to be a problem. Also, every place I've seen it it has been expensive as hell.
    “Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.”
    ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Veritas Aequitas

Thumbs Up
    I reload so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,682
    Given: 40,804
    The 6.8 SPC has a huge following and the rounds are easier to find and reload. The 458 may be late in the game to build a surplus stash of ammo. I see several 300 gr bullets in several brands but not many cases or loaded ammo in 458.
    If we could follow 1 Commandment, 'Love Each Other!', it would be enough! -Apostle Paul

21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

"Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day." —Thomas Jefferson (1807)

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri70 View Post
    The 6.8 SPC has a huge following and the rounds are easier to find and reload. The 458 may be late in the game to build a surplus stash of ammo. I see several 300 gr bullets in several brands but not many cases or loaded ammo in 458.
    I would have a 5.56 upper to put on it if the need should arise. The other one would be for hunting.

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,688
    Given: 765
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

The 458 SC is by no means overkill for deer.The 45/70 has been used for decades taking deer and other game for meat.
    Bullet selection is what you will need to keep from destroying a lot of meat if your shot placement isn't good. There are so many different styles/types of bullets to choose from in the .458 caliber,you can pick a bullet for almost any type of shooting/hunting.
    I've shot mine out to 300 yards with plenty of accuracy to take any pig/deer sized game with confidence.Past 200 yards,this big ole bullet is falling fast so I try to stay under that with my shots on game.
    I hunt with the 325 gr Hornady FTX and Nosler 300 gr Silvertip bullets,and they work really well on pigs and deer without tearing up too much meat. They shoot pretty good too,I have several loads that shoot under 1" at 100 yards.
    This group is .785"

I buy all of my brass from Starline,the 458 uses Large Pistol primers,and the powders that I use are Reloader 7,H110,and Lil Gun.
    I love this caliber,Recoil is pretty light until you start shooting 400+ grain bullets super sonic.Then it's like shooting a single shot 12ga with 3 1/2" magnums.

The only negative with the 458 SOCOM is the lack of published load data by the bullet/powder mfg's. There is published data on a few big bore AR forums,but if you want to use a bullet that no one has played with,you just have to figure it out on your own for now. It's not bad though,the brass will show pressure signs pretty fast when you start getting too hot on any load.
    Too bad your out in Cali,I'm bringing it to the Tx. M&G the weekend after next on the other place. I'll let anyone shoot it,then you'd be hooked!