Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Glocks

The Man on the Silver Mountain BigBlue79's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,695
    Given: 433

Glocks

This thread is for Glocks, yes that ugly, boring, piece of plastic and steel, otherwise known as "Austrian Tupperware". I currently have 2, a 22 and 23, both are Generation 3, both LE Trade in guns, the 23 is marked "MCSO" for Maricopa County Sheriff's Office in Arizona, the 22 has a Ghost 3.5lb Connector, Wolff Competition springs, Ghost Extended Slide Stop, Night Sights. The 23 only has Williams Click Adjustable Fire Sights, which will eventually be going on the 22 as I plan on carrying the 23.

Most shooters whom have been shooting for awhile know about the early history of Glock, but I'm gonna go ahead and do it for this thread for all the new shooters that might happen upon this thread!

Gaston Glock, the creator of the Glock "Safe Action" Pistol, had no knowledge of manufacturing a firearm at the time his company's first pistol, the 17, was being prototyped, he did however have extensive knowledge on the use of synthetic materials, which was instrumental in the company's design of the first commercially successful line of pistols with a polymer frame. Glock also introduced ferritic nitrocarburizing into the firearms industry as an anti-corrosion surface treatment for metal gun parts.

In 1980, the Austrian military announced that it would seek tenders for a new, modern duty pistol to replace their World War II-era Walther P38 handguns. The Austrian Ministry of Defence formulated a list of 17 criteria for the new generation service pistol:

1. The design has to be self-loading.
    2. The pistol must fire the NATO-standard 919mm Parabellum round.
    3. The magazines would not require any means of assistance for loading.
    4. The magazines must have a minimum capacity of 8 rounds.
    5. All actions necessary to prepare the pistol for firing and any actions required after firing must be done single-handed, either right- or left-handed.
    6. The pistol must be absolutely secure against accidental discharge from shock, stroke and drops from a height of 2 meters onto a steel plate.
    7. Disassembly of the main parts for maintenance and reassembling must be possible without the use of any tools.
    8. Maintenance and cleaning of the pistol must be accomplished without the use of tools.
    9. The pistol's construction may not exceed 58 individual parts (equivalent of a P38).
    10. Gauges, measuring and precise testing devices must not be necessary for the long-term maintenance of the pistol.
    11. The manufacturer is required to provide the Ministry of Defence with a complete set of engineering drawings and exploded views. These must be supplied with all the relevant details for the production of the pistol.
    12. All components must be fully interchangeable between pistols.
    13. No more than 20 malfunctions are permitted during the first 10,000 rounds fired, not even minor jams that can be cleared without the use of any tools.
    14. After firing 15,000 rounds of standard ammunition, the pistol will be inspected for wear. The pistol will then be used to fire an overpressure test cartridge generating 5,000 bar (500 MPa; 73,000 psi). (The normal maximum operating pressure Pmax for the 9 mm NATO is rated at 2,520 bar (252 MPa; 36,500 psi).) The critical components must continue to function properly and be up to specifications, otherwise the pistol will be disqualified.
    15. When handled properly, under no circumstances may the user be endangered by case ejection.
    16. The muzzle energy must be at least 441.5 J when firing a 9mm S-round/P-08 Hirtenberger AG.
    17. Pistols scoring less than 70% of the total available points will not be considered for military use.

Glock became aware of the Austrian Army's planned procurement and in 1982 assembled a team of Europe's leading handgun experts from military, police and civilian sport shooting circles to define the most desirable characteristics in a combat pistol. Within three months, Glock developed a working prototype that combined proven mechanisms and traits from previous pistol designs. The new weapon made extensive use of synthetic materials and modern manufacturing technologies in its design, making it a very cost-effective candidate. Several samples of the 919mm Glock 17 (so named because it was the 17th set of technical drawings of the company) were submitted for assessment trials in early 1982, and after passing all of the exhaustive endurance and abuse tests, Glock emerged as the winner with the Model 17.

The handgun was adopted into service with the Austrian military and police forces in 1982 as the P80 (Pistole 80), with an initial order for 25,000 guns. The Glock 17 outperformed 8 different pistols from five other established manufacturers (Heckler & Koch of Germany offered their P7M8, P7M13 and P9S, SIG Sauer of Germany bid with their P220 and P226 models, Beretta of Italy submitted their model 92SB-F, FN Herstal proposed an updated variant of the Browning Hi-Power and the home-grown Steyr Mannlicher entered the competition with the GB).

The different generations. There is currently 4 "Generations" of the Glock Pistol, the following will show the different "Generations"

Generation 1, there was the 17 and a few, IIRC 5 or 6, 19's that were Generation 1 pistols, the 19's are in the hands of private individuals/companies, the pistol in this picture was a pistol I procured, shortly after while doing research, I found it was made in 1988, the Generation 1's had a softer polymer than the later Generations, as could be told by the cracks in the frame, which is why I traded it off, it also had a non captive recoil spring:

Here you'll notice the Austrian Proofs:

The frame in Generation 1 lacked Finger Grooves, or any kind of ridges, etc on the frame:

Part II next.
    Last edited by BigBlue79; 02-27-2015 at 07:50 PM.

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,381
    Given: 1,507
    Very nice write up. I was based in Vienna during the start of this project. I do not remember hearing anything about the company. From what I understand their manufacturing plant is completely fenced off and has very high security protocols in place.
    Gravedigger

Thumbs Up
    Now I have yet to own a Generation 2 Glock, but by the time Glock came out with the Generation 2, they had the following Pistols, which would be in 1989-1998:

17, 17L, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 26, 27 the 17L and the 19 were released in 1988, 1989 the Generation 2 frame was released, 1990 saw the introduction of the 22, 23, and 20, 1991 saw the 21, 1992 Glock started assembling the weapons in the US in Smyrna, GA, 1994 saw the 24, 1995 Glock introduced the 26 and 27 Subcompacts, 1997 the 29 and 30, 1998 saw the 34, 35, as well as the 31, 32, and 33, the 3rd Generation Starts in the late 90's.

This is a pic of a Generation 2 Glock 17:

You'll notice the "checkering" as Glock calls it on the front strap and back strap and the front of the trigger guard, as well as the raised portion where the grip is has a different "texture" than the 1st Generation, the texture on the Gen 1 was known as "Pebble".

Generation 2.5, yes there was a transition period between the 2nd and 3rd Generation pistols, basically they had no Picatinny Rail, but had the Finger Grooves, Thumb Rests, and the checkering of the 3rd Gen, this pic is of a 2.5 21C:

Generation 3, you'll notice it has the Rail on it:

Last edited by BigBlue79; 02-25-2015 at 01:44 AM.

Thumbs Up
    2009 The RTF2 grip was released.

2010 saw the introduction of the Gen4 Glock Pistol, with Glock taking the nomenclature they're consumers had been using for the newest Pistol, it introduced a dual captive spring setup like the Subcompacts have for all of the Glock's, a modified Rough Textured Frame Grip, interchangeable backstraps known as the Modular Backstrap System, or "MBS" which is stamped into the right side of the frame, and a reversible magazine release, which can be switched to left handed.

Generation 3 vs Generation 4:

RTF2 frame, these came with "Gills" in the slide, or without the Gills, the pistols with the Gills are more rare:

Thumbs Up
    My personal Glock's I currently own:

The 23 with the Tagua Brown Leather OWB Paddle Holster:

22 in the same holster:

Thumbs Up
    The difference in the slides between Gen 3 and Gen4:

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by bradam View Post
    Very nice write up. I was based in Vienna during the start of this project. I do not remember hearing anything about the company. From what I understand their manufacturing plant is completely fenced off and has very high security protocols in place.
    I wouldn't doubt it, especially with having a military contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Axxe555 View Post
    most excellent write-up BigBlue! very well done sir. very informative.
    Thank you sir! I try to be informative as much as possible, helps draw traffic and answer new shooter's questions!

Thumbs Up
    Then there is also the Flat Dark Earth Framed Glock's:

the Full FDE Glock's, which Glock has recently started doing:

the Olive Drab Frame, or OD Green:

And the Compensated, or "C" Glock's, noted by a C after the number, take the 21C for instance:

Thumbs Up
    This is the 24, a 6" .40:

the 17L

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    I have a lone wolf ported barrel I am going to install one of these days.
    Gravedigger

Thumbs Up
    I missed out on a chance for a 23C a year ago or so, kinda wish I had gotten it since the C's are now discontinued to civilians. I heard some news, IDK if it's true or not, but Glock is supposedly planning to discontinue the regular Gen 3 20 and 21 as the 20SF and 21SF sell better.

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Have you seen the new models coming out this year? I believe a 9mm, 40 and 45.
    Last edited by bradam; 02-25-2015 at 02:23 AM. Reason: additional information
    Gravedigger

Thumbs Up
    Yep, fixing to post the new MOS Glock's.

Thumbs Up
    The newest Glock, the 40, which is a 6" 10mm:

The MOS 34 and 35:

Thumbs Up
    MOS 41:

Thumbs Up
    I myself am still waiting for the Single Stack 9x19mm... c'mon Glock, get it done!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 16,207
    Given: 24,649
    Damn fine write BB, very informative

take a good kook at this write up/review folks ... that is how it's done
    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Dog's STAG Arms AR15 build
    Dog's AR458SOCOM build

Regular in Sparta Uncle Joe Jidas's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,462
    Given: 424
    well done Sir

I never realized there were so many different kinds of Tupperware

I'm not a Glock guy but really respect what they have done for the gun industry and for challenging a LOT of folk's ideas about what constitutes dependable construction materials for firearms
    2A: because if our system of government should ever cease to exist - I will still have a vote

Regular in Sparta Uncle Joe Jidas's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,462
    Given: 424
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue79 View Post
    The newest Glock, the 40, which is a 6" 10mm:

The MOS 34 and 35:

Interesting......the Glock starts to look more like the 1911 every year.....hmmmmmmm
    2A: because if our system of government should ever cease to exist - I will still have a vote

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,102
    Given: 3,386
    Great job BB!! Very impressive!!
    Member/Contributor
    NRA GRNC GOA SAF PVA DAV
    Proud Supporter of USA Shooting