Page 379 of 386 FirstFirst ... 369370371372373374375376377378379380381382383384385386 LastLast
Results 7,561 to 7,580 of 7706

Thread: Random Thoughts

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,414
    Given: 2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
    I walk into a pawn shot, see a gun I like and look it over very carefully. I pay particular attention to any odd marks and defects on it, especially those not easily visible to the causal eye. I leave and then I report the gun stolen. After I wait a couple weeks, I go back to the pawn shop. Just my luck, I don't see any of the people who were there the first time I came in, and the gun is still there. I call the police and inform the pawnshop owner that he has "my" gun. I don't have any proof that the gun was actually mine, but I have no problem describing that exact gun, including any marks on it. I have no photos of it, and not knowing the serial number can be explained away by just forgetting to ever write it down. The officer decides to force the pawn shop owner to give me the gun because he believes me and I described it so well.

See the problem? There's got to be actual evidence. Just believing someone, or them describing it well is not enough to seize someone's property. Both the officer and the pawn shop owner did the right thing. The officer did everything his job and the constitution allowed him to do in order to resolve the issue, and the pawn shop owner believed SHC enough to do the right thing and give him the ring. I don't doubt that the officer had no reason to not believe SHC. That's not enough to seize someone's property on the spot though. These decisions have to hold up when compared to the law and the Constitution. Officer discretion only goes so far.

This situation had the best possible outcome period in my opinion.
    Nice story. You only succeed in committing a felony by stealing a gun. Not exactly what happened in SHCs case, is it?
    μολὼν λαβέ

http://www.molonlabeforum.com
    "Gun Forums"

Si vis pacem, para bellum texaswoodworker's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,944
    Given: 4,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
    Nice story. You only succeed in committing a felony by stealing a gun. Not exactly what happened in SHCs case, is it?
    Yeah, it's a felony. So? Theft is theft period. It doesn't have to be a gun. The point of the story is that there are ways you can trick people. As SHC said, a team of people could be successful in doing this at least once. A good description is not enough for an officer to force someone to give up their property to another. There has to be due process in that. The officer did exactly what he as supposed to do, and exactly what I would/will do. The police can't solve all your problems. They can definitely try, but there is only so much they can do.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There is none so blind as he who will not see

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
    Yeah, it's a felony. So? Theft is theft period. It doesn't have to be a gun. The point of the story is that there are ways you can trick people. As SHC said, a team of people could be successful in doing this at least once. A good description is not enough for an officer to force someone to give up their property to another. There has to be due process in that. The officer did exactly what he as supposed to do, and exactly what I would/will do. The police can't solve all your problems. They can definitely try, but there is only so much they can do.
    My point is that the irrefutable proof is not always aligned with the law, as was the case with SHCs experience. He was not trying to pull one over on the cops or the pawn shop owner... He reported the theft when it happened (if I recall correctly), not after he had visited (cased) the pawn shop, taken pictures, made notes of specific details, etc... None of that shit happened.

I agree, the police cannot solve any of your problems, but they can offer some insight when it comes to returning stolen property. Personally I do not have everything I own photographed and inventoried in detail in the event that it may one day be stolen and most people are just like me. If something gets stolen from me I am pretty much screwed because the law doesn't always work for the victim.
    μολὼν λαβέ

"Gun Forums"

Thumbs Up
    Received: 16,041
    Given: 24,624
    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Dog's STAG Arms AR15 build
    Dog's AR458SOCOM build

Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,061
    Given: 66
    Just a quick moment to point out...
    A team pulling the sort of scam I mentioned could report the "theft" right away while the other hocks it, and they could still probably get away with it at least once.
    Also, this ring being appraised at just under $5K, makes it's theft a felony too. I believe the number was about $4,700.
    Back in the 70's-80's, nugget and diamond rings weren't near as common as say, in the late 80's to mid 90's. It's semi custom.
    Don't ever think that because I'm peaceful, that I've forgotten how to be violent.

Thumbs Up
    A team pulling a scam would also have the foresight to get a proper appraisal with photos long before pulling the scam... to be able to provide irrefutable proof when recovering the ring. At least that's what I would do if pulling a scam on a pawn shop. Use something that you are absolutely positive you would be able to get back. Same thing works for an insurance scam. Matter of fact, the insurance scam would probably be easier to pull off and you wouldn't be screwing over a pawn shop owner in the process.... but I don't imagine that these scammers actually care about that....

Hey, I know this Nigerian prince who needs some help with a little financial transaction... any of you guys interested?
    μολὼν λαβέ

"Gun Forums"

A New Face in Sparta
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
    A team pulling a scam would also have the foresight to get a proper appraisal with photos long before pulling the scam... to be able to provide irrefutable proof when recovering the ring. At least that's what I would do if pulling a scam on a pawn shop. Use something that you are absolutely positive you would be able to get back. Same thing works for an insurance scam. Matter of fact, the insurance scam would probably be easier to pull off and you wouldn't be screwing over a pawn shop owner in the process.... but I don't imagine that these scammers actually care about that....

Hey, I know this Nigerian prince who needs some help with a little financial transaction... any of you guys interested?
    Funny never would have thought you were Nigerian. Also I think you are giving the tweakers a lot of credit for brains for which they do not have. Sounds to me like the pawn shop owner was a standup guy and cops did all they could under the circumstances (not much).

Glad you got your ring back

Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,061
    Given: 66
    So I found this cool light jacket at the lake while fishing a few days ago. Magellan, just my size, covered in mud and dirt.

I dunked it just a little while ago to rinse off more of the nastiness and took it to the laundry mat. But I am on the clock. One of those days where I'm working a double shift on my day off...
    Funny how that works.

Found the smallest/cheapest washer, put it in, dumped in some detergent, started putting my quarters in.

Suddenly this rather rotund older lady comes out of nowhere, flings open the door, snatches the jacket out and starts shaking it at me while going off about me doing my laundry on the taxpayer's dime, I work for her and the other residents, etc.

Wasn't sure what to do.
    So I said, "Well I got it covered in raw sewage on the job, it's only fair I get to wash it on the job!"

That look on her face when she realized she was now covered in brown water. Oh it was priceless.
    Don't ever think that because I'm peaceful, that I've forgotten how to be violent.

Thumbs Up
    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Dog's AR458SOCOM build

Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,564
    Given: 40,758
    I found a decent ride to haul the family around in.

591B3F73-FA3D-40A4-91A3-F436FBDA08F3.jpg
    If we could follow 1 Commandment, 'Love Each Other!', it would be enough! -Apostle Paul

21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

"Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day." —Thomas Jefferson (1807)

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,045
    Given: 2,341
    Nice ride Tri.......too bad about the bowtie on it.

Thumbs Up
    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Dog's AR458SOCOM build

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Krat View Post
    Nice ride Tri.......too bad about the bowtie on it.

I was looking at Ford, Chevy, Toyota and found one my wife didn’t mind the payments on.
    If we could follow 1 Commandment, 'Love Each Other!', it would be enough! -Apostle Paul

21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

"Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day." —Thomas Jefferson (1807)

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Well that's 99% of the sale right there.

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Krat View Post
    Well that's 99% of the sale right there.
    And I can still get my guns and stuff.

Thumbs Up
    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Dog's AR458SOCOM build

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Hell yeah!
    https://youtu.be/Y6ikO6LMxF4

Thumbs Up
    Many major conflicts started this time of year! Happy anniversary to the rebellion!

Si vis pacem, para bellum texaswoodworker's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,944
    Given: 4,212
    Welp, I am finally in my last year of college. This time next year, I will have a degree.

Also, I have gotten an explosion of orders for grips. I have never gotten this many at once. It's going to be a busy Summer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by texaswoodworker; 04-21-2018 at 02:14 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There is none so blind as he who will not see

Thumbs Up
    My daughter’s prom date shows up and I’m on the porch sighting in my air rifle.