Page 358 of 360 FirstFirst ... 348349350351352353354355356357358359360 LastLast
Results 7,141 to 7,160 of 7194

Thread: Random Thoughts

Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,751
    Given: 39,393
    You should get a new sight, it would be worth a call or a whole new gun and they should not void warranty over a spot of glue on their defective product, ask for a supervisor if that say it again.
    If we could follow 1 Commandment, 'Love Each Other!', it would be enough! -Apostle Paul

21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

"Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day." —Thomas Jefferson (1807)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,797
    Given: 66
    In other SHC news...
    I got a call for an emergency line locate. Someone replacing a power pole. It's state law that we have to provide locate services, even though they SHOULDN'T need it. They're going to put the replacement pole right next to the broken one, which is SUPPOSED to be on the other side of the street from our water line, and ten feet from the sewer. But I personally have no clue if it is or not.
    So I call the supervisor of the on-call crew and tell him what's up. He tells me who's on call, says he doesn't think that guy isn't qualified to do locates though. Told me which one could, but he's not on call this week.
    Okay. The guy on call can't do it, not qualified. The guy who is won't answer the phone, I don't really blame him.
    I called their super back and let him know. He tells me to go out myself, call him when I'm on site, and he'll walk me through it.
    That don't sound right.
    So I called my own boss. He says "F**K NO! That's illegal as hell! If he wants to do that kind of illegal shit, he can send out one of his own motherf**king unqualified crew and walk them through it! We don't even have a line map to cross reference!"
    Okay boss. Tell me in simple words just so no one can ever try to throw me under the bus, what am I not allowed to do? (higher ups are still gunning for my ass, they just can't catch me doing anything wrong)
    I quote:
    "You are not allowed, under any circumstances, never ever, to go out and do any sort of line location. You're not qualified and it's illegal for you to do it. Any time you get a request for a locate, call me so that we can say I advised you not to do it, and I'll contact the on call crew myself."

Okey dokey, boss. He called the on call supervisor, told me not to contact him anymore on the matter.

Ten minutes later, one of the top dogs calls me, PISSED, talking about firing me.
    I told him, "You would fire me for refusing to violate state law, by not doing a line location because I'm not qualified? I have three words: WRONGFUL TERMINATION SUIT."

He hung up on me. Then I called Boss Man again. Now he's really pissed.
    So who knows? Maybe I'll keep my job, maybe I'll get enough in court that I can afford to head back to my beloved Mississippi and knock on doors in person. Not many people seem to want to hire from long distance, so maybe being there in person could help.
    Hell, we might both get fired. He gives them far more hell than I do.
    Don't ever think that because I'm peaceful, that I've forgotten how to be violent.

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri70 View Post
    You should get a new sight, it would be worth a call or a whole new gun and they should not void warranty over a spot of glue on their defective product, ask for a supervisor if that say it again.
    At this point, I've tried solder, silver brazing, eventually settled on JB Weld and peening the ears of the slot down onto it. HARD.
    I've taken a torch to it for the brazing.
    Even though I feel they should replace it, even after all that, there is no question now that the warranty's been voided and I've worked on it myself.
    And, I'm satisfied with the results, so why bother? A refinishing was probably in it's future anyway, since my first holster ate up the finish near the muzzle almost immediately.
    I'd still consider Ruger at fault for that, it's an awfully thin and wimpy finish, but I never leave a gun in stock form anyway. I've even replaced the trigger with one that doesn't have the trigger safety. Of course I saved the original in case I ever want to swap it back.
    Every gun I have is modified in some way or another, the perfect gun doesn't exist in my opinion. Except my CZ Carbine. It's only weak link is the shitty magazine design.
    I showed it to my dad and stepmom, said "Now here's a work of art..."
    She asked me "How's it a work of art? Did you do something to this one too?"
    "No, I haven't done a thing to it. It's a work of art because it's the closest thing to perfection as I've seen."
    Don't ever think that because I'm peaceful, that I've forgotten how to be violent.

Spartan Elite
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,427
    Given: 682
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelHorseCowboy View Post
    At this point, I've tried solder, silver brazing, eventually settled on JB Weld and peening the ears of the slot down onto it. HARD.
    I've taken a torch to it for the brazing.
    Even though I feel they should replace it, even after all that, there is no question now that the warranty's been voided and I've worked on it myself.
    And, I'm satisfied with the results, so why bother? A refinishing was probably in it's future anyway, since my first holster ate up the finish near the muzzle almost immediately.
    I'd still consider Ruger at fault for that, it's an awfully thin and wimpy finish, but I never leave a gun in stock form anyway. I've even replaced the trigger with one that doesn't have the trigger safety. Of course I saved the original in case I ever want to swap it back.
    Every gun I have is modified in some way or another, the perfect gun doesn't exist in my opinion. Except my CZ Carbine. It's only weak link is the shitty magazine design.
    I showed it to my dad and stepmom, said "Now here's a work of art..."
    She asked me "How's it a work of art? Did you do something to this one too?"
    "No, I haven't done a thing to it. It's a work of art because it's the closest thing to perfection as I've seen."
    My ole man has a saying for guy's that always try to fix things themselves without the proper tools or knowledge - You could **** up an anvil!

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    My ole man has a saying for guy's that always try to fix things themselves without the proper tools or knowledge - You could **** up an anvil!
    I'm very glad no pictures exist of what I did to my grandfather's anvil. It was one of only two times he whooped my ass.

Si vis pacem, para bellum texaswoodworker's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,718
    Given: 4,187
    5 hours of trial and error, a handful of wasted bullets from failed attempts, and a lot of sweat and swearing led to this. I think I have the process down now, but damn that was one hell of a learning curve.

That is an actual 30-06 shell, with an actual bullet (formerly a 150gr Hornady SP) turned into a pen. The top half is made from deer antler, and the clip is plated in 24K gold.

I'm going to see if I can make a bunch of these next week. I really like how it turned out.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 06-18-2017 at 12:20 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There is none so blind as he who will not see

Thumbs Up
    Oh, and hogs came onto our land for the first time in years. They tore the hell out of the area where I put my targets and completely shredded a plywood board. I have a little something loaded up for them if they come back.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,539
    Given: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
    5 hours of trial and error, a handful of wasted bullets from failed attempts, and a lot of sweat and swearing led to this. I think I have the process down now, but damn that was one hell of a learning curve.

That is an actual 30-06 shell, with an actual bullet (formerly a 150gr Hornady SP) turned into a pen. The top half is made from deer antler, and the clip is plated in 24K gold.

I'm going to see if I can make a bunch of these next week. I really like how it turned out.

That is a gorgeous pen TWW! Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumbs Up

Random Thoughts

I was gonna show off my little wood working project, but now TWW has me all nervous and crap..... thanks a lot!
    I seen this item on the internet and absolutely loved it, but my problem was I wasn't really wanting to pay $250.00 + for it.
    I decided I would build it myself cheaper and see how it turned out.
    I worked on it a few hours here and there when I got the chance until it was complete. I think it turned out really nice, and my wife loves it too. The part that has taken the longest is trying to decide where I want to hang it. As of now, it's still in the garage waiting for its place in the house.

Getting my boards cut and laid out....

Stain all the boards (even the light ones are stained) and checking to make sure they are roughly the same height......

Build my box and stain.......

Last edited by 1turkeyhunter; 06-18-2017 at 09:13 AM.

Thumbs Up
    Then putting the union and stripes on the box........

Add a few stars to the mix.....

Couple coats of Polyurethane and it is complete.......

Regular in Sparta
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,121
    Given: 36
    Looking good SHC!!! Wish my wood working skills were that good.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,751
    Given: 39,393
    That look great 1TH!! Sorry buddy!
    Last edited by Tri70; 06-18-2017 at 02:35 PM.
    If we could follow 1 Commandment, 'Love Each Other!', it would be enough! -Apostle Paul

21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

"Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day." —Thomas Jefferson (1807)

Thumbs Up
    Nobody reads anymore.....

Thumbs Up
    Lol, thanks Fred, it's been a labor of love!
    I make some pretty damn nice pens too!

Thumbs Up
    Lmao..... I know its not up there with a boat or nothing, but damn!😝

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by 1turkeyhunter View Post
    That is a gorgeous pen TWW! Great job!

Thanks! I'm really happy with out it turned out. I'm looking for a way to make them a tittle easier to do though. I was told that the ballistic tip Hornady bullets will leave the perfect sized hole for the nib once they're hollowed out. I'm going to pick some up and try them.

That is gorgeous! How did you paint the stars?

I heard you make some damn fine 1911 grips too.

Regular in Sparta
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 688
    Given: 1,768
    Nice work guys.

Thumbs Up
    Lmao..... I know its not up there with a boat or nothing, but damn!😝

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    Lol, I don't think he's been on in a while. My boat may have been one of the first things he saw when going through unread posts.

Speaking of, the replacement is coming along quite nicely.

Thumbs Up
    Lol, I don't think he's been on in a while. My boat may have been one of the first things he saw when going through unread posts.

Speaking of, the replacement is coming along quite nicely.
    Looking good sir! Put a big bull ring in the front of it so you can lock that bad boy down!

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
    That is gorgeous! How did you paint the stars?
    I went the fast route and found a template to fit on amazon so I can use it over and over.