Thread: Random Thoughts

Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,057
    Given: 66
    Quote Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
    Depends on your definition of outdated. I don't consider a computer outdated until it can't keep up with what you want it to do. Gaming computers have really good longevity. The limiting factor on mine might be the i5-7600K processor, though that can be upgraded if needed. I don't see that happening for several years though. The GPU is a 1080, and that thing will not be obsolete for quite a while.
    Not sure exactly which processor is in my gaming laptop, but at the time it was one of the best available for a laptop. I was looking for stability and speed. Can't even remember how many cores and I don't have it with me today.
    Got the biggest RAM available for laptops at the time too, can't remember what that was.
    Got a great graphics card, but not the best. The gaming I do doesn't require the huge jump in price for the next step up, which was the second best available for laptops at the time (so my GPU was the third step down for laptops, I think the 4th step down overall).
    Of course "best" and "better" can be extremely subjective.

It's two years old now, and I can play all but the most demanding games.
    Don't ever think that because I'm peaceful, that I've forgotten how to be violent.

Si vis pacem, para bellum texaswoodworker's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,943
    Given: 4,212
    Despite how fast technology improves, gaming computers can last quite a while before they need to be upgraded (not replaced like consoles). Your laptop will probably still do just fine in 5 years.

Mines a i5-7600K on an Asus Maximus IX Hero Mobo, a Corsair CX750M power supply, and H100i water cooling system, an EVGA 1080 FTW GPU, 16 GB of RAM, a 500 GB SSD, and a 2TB HDD all in a Cooler Master Mastercase 5. It took me about a year to build.

I'm getting a solid 60 FPS with completely maxed out settings on GTA V, and 120-130 FPS in Pubg.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There is none so blind as he who will not see

Regular in Sparta
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,170
    Given: 51
    Nerds... LOL, I like the cable management on that PC TXWW.

A New Face in Sparta
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 0
    My gaming computer has all of you nerds beat. It’s called outside. Works so well you’d think you were actually there!!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 16,032
    Given: 24,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdock View Post
    My gaming computer has all of you nerds beat. It’s called outside. Works so well you’d think you were actually there!!
    preach 5.jpg
    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Dog's STAG Arms AR15 build
    Dog's AR458SOCOM build

Si vis pacem, para bellum texaswoodworker's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,943
    Given: 4,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred_G View Post
    Nerds... LOL, I like the cable management on that PC TXWW.
    Thanks. I tried to keep it as clean as possible. I hate loose wires.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There is none so blind as he who will not see

Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,537
    Given: 40,723
    Bullet racing, 9 mm, 45 ACP, 7.62x39 and 416.

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2018...fastest-round/

Thumbs Up
    He didn’t let that fish get away! Bare handed grab and flip on the boat! LOL!

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2018...ur-tournament/
    If we could follow 1 Commandment, 'Love Each Other!', it would be enough! -Apostle Paul

21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

"Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day." —Thomas Jefferson (1807)

Thumbs Up
    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Dog's AR458SOCOM build

Thumbs Up
    There’s always 6 weeks of winter left from Feb 2nd!
    If we could follow 1 Commandment, 'Love Each Other!', it would be enough! -Apostle Paul

21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

"Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day." —Thomas Jefferson (1807)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,626
    Given: 719
    Been reading the board for the past few days.
    Went in for a surgery with a 75/25% chance I wouldn't be walking again, but I got lucky. A hot-shot young Neuro Surgeon found what the MRI's couldn't find and............ I be walkin'......... albeit with a cane for a few months. Might be permanent, so now, everywhere I go I have two items with me. That cane was hand carved in Bavaria @ 1914

.. An' ole' Brer' Rabbit..he set in de bushes.. he watch an' he wait.. lay low an' don' say nuffin'

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,694
    Given: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by zfk55 View Post
    Been reading the board for the past few days.
    Went in for a surgery with a 75/25% chance I wouldn't be walking again, but I got lucky. A hot-shot young Neuro Surgeon found what the MRI's couldn't find and............ I be walkin'......... albeit with a cane for a few months. Might be permanent, so now, everywhere I go I have two items with me. That cane was hand carved in Bavaria @ 1914

Glad your doing ok zfk55! Luck or skill, doesn’t matter so long as it’s in your favor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular in Sparta
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,170
    Given: 51
    Awesome you are walking! I am liking that gun rig.

Thumbs Up
    that's great news zfk ... and hell, I'd be using that can everyday anyways. that things is gorgeous!
    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Dog's AR458SOCOM build

Thumbs Up
    Well, the city had a new well drilled. Cost about half a mill.
    It's supposed to feed a new water tower that's just been completed about a mile away.
    This has, so far, been a year long project totaling around 5-6 million.

But guess what?
    These DAMN IDIOTS waited until now to try and purchase the right of way to lay the pipe from the new well to the new water tower.
    And they were turned down.

That's a lot of money straight down the drain.
    I don't understand way the hell they wouldn't purchase the right of way BEFORE building a water tower a mile away from it's well.

I don't know the ins and outs of imminent domain law, but I'm gonna guess it'll come into play.
    Don't ever think that because I'm peaceful, that I've forgotten how to be violent.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,414
    Given: 2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelHorseCowboy View Post
    Well, the city had a new well drilled. Cost about half a mill.
    It's supposed to feed a new water tower that's just been completed about a mile away.
    This has, so far, been a year long project totaling around 5-6 million.

But guess what?
    These DAMN IDIOTS waited until now to try and purchase the right of way to lay the pipe from the new well to the new water tower.
    And they were turned down.

That's a lot of money straight down the drain.
    I don't understand way the hell they wouldn't purchase the right of way BEFORE building a water tower a mile away from it's well.

I don't know the ins and outs of imminent domain law, but I'm gonna guess it'll come into play.
    Eminent domain laws mean they will get their right of way no matter what. Bureaucratic incompetence does not trump private property rights. They can, "legally" even run the right of way right through a row of homes that have been there since Napoleon's time....

Naturally, it would make the most sense to run the water line underneath existing public roads, along a power line right of way or what have you, but they don't and probably would never consider it in a million years.

Is the water board an elected position? You oughta run for it.
    μολὼν λαβέ

http://www.molonlabeforum.com
    "Gun Forums"

Thumbs Up
    Ice storms suck! One day I have off and ice everywhere this morning, I like to get out and varmint hunt. Maybe it will melt off later and I can get out, time to do some reloading.

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
    Eminent domain laws mean they will get their right of way no matter what. Bureaucratic incompetence does not trump private property rights. They can, "legally" even run the right of way right through a row of homes that have been there since Napoleon's time....

Naturally, it would make the most sense to run the water line underneath existing public roads, along a power line right of way or what have you, but they don't and probably would never consider it in a million years.

Is the water board an elected position? You oughta run for it.
    Luckily, there are no homes between the well and tower, none at all. It's all mostly undeveloped commercial property.

Unfortunately, there is no elected water board. We are having mayoral elections soon. All of this does rest solely on the mayor's shoulders, a democrat who's been in office for 40 years and is running for an eleventh term.

As the second man on the totem pole of the department responsible for providing the water, I can say unequivocally, we've been completely and totally cut out of the entire decision making process.
    The woman who runs the entire water services, who oversees us, the distribution department, wastewater collections, and wastewater treatment departments, has been cut out.
    The assistant director of public works has no clue what's going on. He told us to ask the engineer.
    The engineer refuses to speak to us.

I couldn't be paid enough to run this shit hole.
    The Duck Commander TV show would have everyone thinking West Monroe is some idyllic little small town heaven. Yet I sit here all day listening to gun shots and sirens.

Thumbs Up

George Washington's hair discovered in 18th-century book at New York college

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ge...D=ansmsnnews11

A strand of white hair tucked into a shabby almanac on the shelf of a college library in upstate New York has been revealed to be from one of the nation's Founding Fathers.

Union College, located in Schenectady, said in a news release that the lock of hair belonging to George Washington was found during a recent inventory review of the facility, inside a leather book titled "Gaines Universal Register or American and British Kalendar for the Year 1793.”

“This is a very significant treasure,” said India Spartz, the head of the college's special collections and archives. “It’s a tremendous testament to history and our connection to some of the most important historical figures.”

The almanac is believed to have belonged to Philip J. Schuyler, the son of Gen. Philip Schuyler, one of the college’s founders and a close friend of Washington who served under him during the Revolutionary War. Schuyler was also Alexander Hamilton's father-in law.

Spartz told NEWS10 that the two families were close, and it wasn't uncommon during that time period to give away a strand of hair as a token.

"They were well connected, they had a good social standing," she said.
    for the love of God someone please clone him so he can restore our Republic!
    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
    Est Sularus oth Mithas

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Dog's AR458SOCOM build

Thumbs Up
    Glad they didn’t find it on a Coke can....wait wrong story!