PDA

View Full Version : Tips and Tricks

Davy
02-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Post here your personal tips and tricks you have picked up over the years in your various firearms usage.
Omit nothing new shooters can be a little green and the simplest tips can be useful to some people.

Like a very simple condom placed over the end of your barrel in extreme weather conditions will help to prevent corrosion to the bore.

The Galician
02-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Greetings,

Like a hot air gun or hair dryer will loosen locktite on barrels and stubborn bolts?

S/
K

Dillinger
02-17-2013, 06:20 PM
A great trick for scope doping on the fly, in the field is to record your zero, then the clicks to each further range and make a note card. Then take the elevation knob and wrap it with white after-surgery tape up by the top of the knob. With a waterproof pen, make a hash mark for each of the distances from your range card with an indicator for the distance. "5" for 500 yards, for example. The bottom of the knob will still show the vertical lines, but the tape is a quick and easy way to just dial in the distance and take your shot.

JD

danf_fl
02-23-2013, 05:28 AM
I keep small sheets of leather of various thickness in the shop.

They come in handy when using the vice, stopping small screws and springs from rolling (rough side up).

The Galician
02-23-2013, 06:56 AM
Large Freezer bags for disassembling an unfamiliar pistol. Do it in the bag the first time you disassemble it for those springs that like to shoot out, pins that just fall out, etc.

AusLach
03-07-2013, 08:35 PM
ATV gun forks can also be used as a handy aide to sight in your rifle. I have a set of Koplin gun racks. Here they are on my old spotlighting rig:
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x358/AusLach/Gun%20Stuff/IMAG0177.jpg

Simply tek screw one of the forks to a piece of timber. I used some 6x2 inch pine. It's stable, soft on the forend and at the perfect height for prone shooting.
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x358/AusLach/Gun%20Stuff/IMAG0578.jpg

steelpoet
03-10-2013, 10:38 PM
I carry a magnet out of an old hard drive in my small tool kit. Keeps the thing from making noise while hunting. One in the the pocket is nice when using tools outside. Just stick tools to the outside of the pocket where you keep the magnet while you work.

Kaido
03-10-2013, 11:58 PM
A quick way to sight in a scope if you've get a lead sled, or really any sturdy rest that can hold your rifle firmly is to fire minimum three shots at your target. Once you've done this, set the rifle the exact way you had it when you fired, have the crosshairs where you where aiming and then adjust the windage/elevation until your lined up with the group you fired.

Take a couple extra shots to confirm and you should be set to start hitting what you want, when you want.

Dillinger
03-11-2013, 08:41 AM
One in the the pocket is nice when using tools outside. Just stick tools to the outside of the pocket where you keep the magnet while you work.

Huh! That's a pretty smart idea come think of it. I wish I knew about that trick a 100 or so years ago when I was working with hand tools everyday.

Thanks!

JD

Tri70
03-13-2013, 08:21 PM
Use nail polish as loctite sub till you can get the real thing, but then again most guys don't have nail polish.

Dillinger
03-13-2013, 08:54 PM
Use nail polish as loctite sub till you can get the real thing, but then again most guys don't have nail polish.

Clear nail polish brother. It's a home shop MUST HAVE. ;)

Nice addition. I had forgotten all about this one. Scope mounts? AR handles? Works great on any non-moving parts.

*thumbs*

JD

Fireguy
03-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Clear nail polish is how I keep the rear sight tight on my Keltec P11. Stuff is as good as duct tape to have around.

Dog
03-14-2013, 07:40 AM
Use nail polish as loctite sub till you can get the real thing ...

Man Card under review ... :mad:

Tri70
03-14-2013, 08:40 AM
Man Card under review ... :mad:

I like the passion red color best, that way I know it's secured! LOL!

Fred_G
03-26-2015, 09:42 PM
A two year thread necro on colored nail polish. I think someones man card is in need of review.:cool:

Tri70
03-26-2015, 09:51 PM
I polish new bores with JB bore paste or jewelers rouge. Most standard bores have burs and sharp edges that need smoothed out for best results. I run a cleaning patch about 20x with paste to get good shoots without wasting ammo on break in.

Fred_G
03-26-2015, 11:19 PM
i'll have you know my Man Card is plenty safe! LOL! :o

Oh, almost all of them think this, until it is revoked. :cool:

Fred_G
03-26-2015, 11:51 PM
Did you tell him you keep colored nail polish around?

Tri70
03-27-2015, 08:36 AM
Another trick use full synthetic motor oil like Mobil 1 as a sizing die lube for reloading.

Tri70
03-27-2015, 08:02 PM
Place aluminum foil on the bottom of the oven for easy clean up.

Also oven cleaner does a great job on fireplace windows.

Fred_G
04-11-2015, 11:25 AM
Q-Tips work great for cleaning slides and hard to reach places. Also can be a big help keeping parts lined up when re-assembling a 1911 after a detail strip. Cut your targets in half vertically when shooting at the range. Gives you 2 for one targets, and your target is now partially concealed so COM changes. Depending on the type of range you are on, (and the RSO), an empty cardboard box can be placed on in front of you, to practice shooting from around cover.

Bend a little kink in the slide stop detent spring, and it will greatly reduce the number of lost springs and detent pins. Using a bag like stated above works good also. I just always forget about that little pin. Apparently, they are not fully domesticated, and when released, they go wild and are hard to find. I keep 2 or three extras around, but since bending the spring, have not needed them.

Tri70
04-11-2015, 04:39 PM
Baking and toothpaste will make a polish for lapping.