PDA

View Full Version : The Road to CAS: The Lever Gun.

texaswoodworker
05-07-2014, 05:28 PM
I've been wanting to get into cowboy action shooting (SASS in particular) for awhile now. In fact, that was the original reason I really got into guns. I took a bit of a detour from that path though, but here I am again. A black powder revolver got me interested once again. (Thanks again JP). So my plan is to get into it as cheap as I can, but with quality guns. I need four guns. A lever action rifle, two revolvers, and a shotgun. I now have two. This is the first thread of a series that will follow me into the sport.

So I just won an auction. I am now the proud owner of a Rossi 92. This isn't your ordinary 92 though. This one has a lot of style. :cool:

Case hardened receiver, and a 20" octagon barrel. It's chambered in 44 Magnum, and is capable of holding 10+1 rounds. :D

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag327/texaswoodworker/Rossi_zps1b38796d.jpg

texaswoodworker
05-08-2014, 02:00 AM
From what I've read and seen about the gun, it's very well made for the price. Fit and finish tend to be pretty good, the trigger is supposed to be light and crisp right out of the box, and they are decently accurate. The actions tend to be a little gritty, and the sights aren't the best. Both of those things are easy fixes though, and they are relatively cheap fixes. It doesn't seem to take much to make these guns "race ready".

If I decide to do these fixes, I'll make sure to do a thread for them ;)

One thing I will do is replace the plastic mag follower with a metal one. It increases the reliability, and the durability of the rifle. I won't have to worry about the plastic follower jamming or cracking.

nchunt101
05-08-2014, 08:53 AM
Looks nice,,,also looks like it would be a fun deer rifle.

Tri70
05-08-2014, 08:56 AM
Nice looking rifle and a good caliber too! Competition is a lot of fun, we only do with family around here.

BigBlue79
05-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Those are patterened off the old Winchester 1892's, but the Rossi has a safety on the top of the bolt.

The 1892 is what Chuck Connors used in the Rifleman TV show, only with a big loop lever and a set screw screwed into it to automatically squeeze the trigger. Funny cause the show was set in the 1880's...

spittinfire
05-08-2014, 11:10 AM
Very nice rifle. I dream of a lever action Marlin in 44 Mag and 357 mag. Let me know you thoughts on the gun after you shoot it.

Dog
05-08-2014, 11:41 AM
nice score ... looking forward to the range report

shame it doesn't have a bayonet though :rolleyes:

texaswoodworker
05-08-2014, 01:56 PM
Thanks guys. :)

I plan on taking it hunting at least once. They are supposed to be pretty handy, and quick to shoot. You can expect a full review on the gun whenever I get some ammo for it.

As for the safety, that can be removed and the hole can be plugged pretty easily if you really do not like it. You can even get peep sights that mount to the rifle through that hole. I don't think receiver mounted peep sights are SASS legal (tang mounted ones are), but if you just get the gun for fun, that's not problem at all.

http://flintlock.org/pics/var/albums/Leverguns/Rossi_M92_Safety.jpg?m=1342134699

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o203/NateKJ/DSCN1002.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o203/NateKJ/DSCN1354.jpg

texaswoodworker
05-08-2014, 02:01 PM
Bayonet? :cool:

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/10975/11406390_1.jpg?v=8CE7EDEB1C16660

texaswoodworker
05-08-2014, 09:58 PM
Any ideas on how to make the review more interesting? I'm thinking of trying a few trick shots, old west style. ;)

BigBlue79
05-08-2014, 10:05 PM
IDK, maybe watch this one for a couple pointers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFxqbY4nsdQ

Tri70
05-08-2014, 10:14 PM
Tannerite is always interesting!!

Lady Glass
05-09-2014, 03:02 AM
Set up a few CAS stations and have someone video you going through them.

texaswoodworker
05-09-2014, 03:14 AM
Set up a few CAS stations and have someone video you going through them.

I don't have one set up, though a new range I'm thinking of joining might. They host SASS every month. It will be awhile though.

Until then, I'll have to get creativ. I picked up a pack of these today. I might have some fun with them. (you can't beat $1 for 52 targets. ;))

http://l.rgbimg.com/cache1nj8yt/users/w/wo/woodsy/600/2dARNwv.jpg

Lady Glass
05-09-2014, 03:24 AM
You should see the "Mannequin" I made for Scubie to use in their stages. Her name is "Pauline", as in "The Perils of Pauline." I used a child sized cloth doll with a large head, put her in an adult set of footie pajamas, stuffed the pajamas and sewed a pair of gloves to the end of the arms. I then went to Goodwill and got a pair of boots and a red velvet dress for her. She has been tied to "Railroad tracks," been taken hostage, and I am not sure what else, during the stages. When she is "rescued," the shooters have to treat her like a lady and place her into a chair and tip their hat to her. It can get really funny at times.

jpattersonnh
05-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Hey, How much was the Rossi?? Just curious. I never could figure out why the need for a safety when it could be carried half cocked, the original safety.

Dog
05-09-2014, 06:50 PM
Any ideas on how to make the review more interesting? I'm thinking of trying a few trick shots, old west style. ;)

GoPro, tannerite and a mannequin ... good times! ;)

texaswoodworker
05-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Hey, How much was the Rossi?? Just curious. I never could figure out why the need for a safety when it could be carried half cocked, the original safety.

Most are $450 to $550. That is for the blued version with the round barrel. I paid $575 for this one, but it is a deluxe version, and the only one in that configuration that I could find at any price.

As for the safety, idk

jpattersonnh
05-10-2014, 10:04 AM
Most are $450 to $550. That is for the blued version with the round barrel. I paid $575 for this one, but it is a deluxe version, and the only one in that configuration that I could find at any price.

As for the safety, idk

That is still a VG price. The only thing I want to add to mine is a lever wrap. When you are cycling the rifle quickly, it tends to cut into your fingers after a while.

Dzscubie
05-11-2014, 04:09 AM
TWW,

You will enjoy SASS/CAS as it's more than about the shooting. SASS is almost a way of life as it used to be with people being polite, courteous and just plain nice which is so sadly lacking now days.
Have you come up with your alias yet? Mine is “Irish” Billy Jordan and I usually shoot dressed as a Confederate Calvary Sargent. I based my persona on my Great Grandfather who was named W.C. Jordan and fought all four years of the war of northern aggression with Company B, 15th Alabama. The Irish is because all of my ancestors on both sides of my family as far as we can go back (1644) all came from Ireland.

Caution!!! I started out with just a few single actions I picked up cheap and it has exploded from there. I now have a set of matched Navy Arms that have been tuned for SASS. I have several other single actions but don’t use any except the match set.

I have 4 shot guns I use depending on the stage, a Stoeger coach gun (SXS), a Norenco Model 1887 (lever action), and two Model 1897’s one a Norenco and one an original Winchester.

I also started with a Chaparral Arms 1876 lever action with the 24” barrel in 38/357 and it was ok for a starter gun but later had the chance to pick up (thanks Lady Glass!) a Marlin model 1894 also in 38/357 and it is the carbine. I like the 1876 feed mechanism better than the 94 but you can’t have everything.

So much for now as this went longer than I expected, however we will have to discuss clothing, leather gear, gun carts, loading blocks, and ammunition loads at a later date.

Enjoy Amigo!! And if you have any questions drop me a line.

“Irish” Billy Jordan, CASS #89928
Scubie

Dzscubie
05-11-2014, 12:38 PM
TWW,

Thought I would post up a few pictures of my CASS guns so you can see what I shoot.

This is my Chaparral Arms 1876 and my 1887 lever action.

Scubie

texaswoodworker
05-11-2014, 06:20 PM
TWW,

You will enjoy SASS/CAS as it's more than about the shooting. SASS is almost a way of life as it used to be with people being polite, courteous and just plain nice which is so sadly lacking now days.
Have you come up with your alias yet? Mine is “Irish” Billy Jordan and I usually shoot dressed as a Confederate Calvary Sargent. I based my persona on my Great Grandfather who was named W.C. Jordan and fought all four years of the war of northern aggression with Company B, 15th Alabama. The Irish is because all of my ancestors on both sides of my family as far as we can go back (1644) all came from Ireland.

Caution!!! I started out with just a few single actions I picked up cheap and it has exploded from there. I now have a set of matched Navy Arms that have been tuned for SASS. I have several other single actions but don’t use any except the match set.

I have 4 shot guns I use depending on the stage, a Stoeger coach gun (SXS), a Norenco Model 1887 (lever action), and two Model 1897’s one a Norenco and one an original Winchester.

I also started with a Chaparral Arms 1876 lever action with the 24” barrel in 38/357 and it was ok for a starter gun but later had the chance to pick up (thanks Lady Glass!) a Marlin model 1894 also in 38/357 and it is the carbine. I like the 1876 feed mechanism better than the 94 but you can’t have everything.

So much for now as this went longer than I expected, however we will have to discuss clothing, leather gear, gun carts, loading blocks, and ammunition loads at a later date.

Enjoy Amigo!! And if you have any questions drop me a line.

“Irish” Billy Jordan, CASS #89928
Scubie

I've put a little thought into it. I'm pretty sure I want my persona to be a lawman of some kind. Maybe a marshal or a sheriff. I'm leaning towards Texas Ranger.

http://www.mygen.com/users/outlaw/images/Baz_Ou1.jpg

TWW,

Thought I would post up a few pictures of my CASS guns so you can see what I shoot.

This is my Chaparral Arms 1876 and my 1887 lever action.

Scubie

Pretty! Hows the 87'? I've heard the Norincos can be a little rough. I kind of want one though.

Dzscubie
05-14-2014, 01:31 AM
TWW,

Working your persona from the Rangers is a good start. Work something that you will be happy with over the years and try and come up with something unique to you. Do a little research from where you want to reflect you come from like maybe a little bump in the trail and build from there. Of the cuff you could be Ranger Dustin Crowd from Rattlesnake Junction with Company “whatever alphabet you want” out of Austin or Del Rio or El Paso. You see what I mean, don’t just get a name build who you want to be.

I love my 1887 Norinco but made the mistake of sending it to a gunsmith that had a good reputation, at first, and then found he messed up my gun so bad it will only work 1/3 of the time. Lady Glass is sending it to someone who specializes in fixing this guy screw-ups. Oh, he kept my shotgun for over a year and a half before I got it back. DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT send any guns to Coyote Cap for anything and I would be extremely wary of buying any guns he has worked on.

I also have a Norinco 1897 that I use for Wild Bunch and it also with a little smoothing out runs like a champ.

Scubie

texaswoodworker
05-15-2014, 02:12 AM
The American Frontier was officially declared closed in 1890. The Winchester Mdl. 92 was not around before the Open Range trail drives closed in 1885. The Mdl. of 1892 was a rifle made by reducing the size of the Winchester Mdl. of 1886. The Bison was gone and the Indian wars were quieted. Winchester offered the Mdl. 92 for small game and deer hunting.
The Mdl. 92 was chambered in 25-20, 32-20 and .44-40 etc. There were some marketing of the Mdl. 92 in military configurations with little success. For reenactments of the "Cowboy era" the Mdl. of 1873 would be more correct. The Mdl. of 1886 did see action in the South West during the end of the Apache wars.

Depends on what you call the "cowboy era". Did it end with the closing of trails, or did it end when people stopped using those styles of guns, and that lifestyle pretty much ended? People were still riding horses in the early 1900s. Butch Cassidy and the Wild Bunch were still robbing banks in 1905. Deputy US Marshals Heck Thomas, William Tilghman, and Chris Madsen were still cleaning out the numerous outlaw gangs that plagued the territory of Oklahoma in the 1890s, and early 1900s. The US Army was still fighting Native Americans in the 1920s.

I don't believe the old west just died with the closing of the trails. It was still alive at the turn of the century.

This photo of a group of Texas Rangers was taken between 1891, and 1910.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txmcmull/photos/odenavrangers.jpg

spittinfire
05-15-2014, 09:56 AM
I've wanted a lever action shotgun for years but the cost has always kept me from them. I've also wanted to get into CAS but with a 2 year old and a newborn I have as much free time as I do spare cash.

Kytow
05-15-2014, 12:51 PM
I've wanted a lever action shotgun for years but the cost has always kept me from them. I've also wanted to get into CAS but with a 2 year old and a newborn I have as much free time as I do spare cash.

Hey we are in the same boat lol. I have a new born and a 3 year old, coupled to my work schedule. Yeah. 18 more years lol

TangoDown
05-15-2014, 01:23 PM
Ya'll know that Glass and Scubie are big into CAS right?

I guess if I would look at the thread harder it might see that Scubie already posted. DURTADUR

spittinfire
05-15-2014, 02:07 PM
Hey we are in the same boat lol. I have a new born and a 3 year old, coupled to my work schedule. Yeah. 18 more years lol

That's if you don't have another one....better get the snip.

Kytow
05-15-2014, 02:54 PM
No snip right now. May want another one in a few years. Just have to see. I'm 25 now though so no idea.

TangoDown
05-15-2014, 03:27 PM
I thought about getting snipped. I have this huge fear of someone other than me with sharp objects around my tiny peewee.

spittinfire
05-15-2014, 05:38 PM
I thought about getting snipped. I have this huge fear of someone other than me with sharp objects around my tiny peewee.

Scared they'll make it shorter, huh?

SteelHorseCowboy
05-15-2014, 05:48 PM
Scared they'll make it shorter, huh?

I just reminded some forum members that not all of us have to stuff a sock down our pants to impress the ladies, I'll remind everyone also that some of us can't afford to lose any of what little we have!

TangoDown
05-15-2014, 06:06 PM
I'll admit its small.

That's one reason I want a big hoonkin pickup with a big set of TRUCKNUTS.

texaswoodworker
05-15-2014, 07:09 PM
How the hell did this thread end up being about y'alls junk? :p

texaswoodworker
05-16-2014, 02:19 AM
The point is the Mdl. 92 Winchester is only famous due to the "B" Western movies. These rifles were dependable using the Hollywood 5 in 1 movie blanks. these rifles were adaptable using the 38-40,44-40, .45 Colt etc. This cut the cost of making Western "B" movies. We see them used in the Civil War and the Alamo.
Thanks to pressure from serious gun enthusiast Hollywood has had to clean up their act. The period correct firearms are more likely to be seen in todays movies. This is not a debate about riding horses we leave that to the Equestrians. This is about a Big win for American firearms collectors and enthusiast. We made an issue and Hollywood yielded. Many of us pushed for this adherence to correct firearms history. Let's protect this victory.

I think your digging a little too deep into this. Was it around during the 1860s and 1870s? No, but I never said it was. It was around in the 1890s, and was used by hunters, lawmen, and outlaws alike during that time period. As I said, the closing of the trails was not the end of the old west. It was still wild in the early 1900s. Me using a 92' in a competition is not going to spoil any victory.

As for it being famous due to the "B" Westerns, the 92' was extremely popular long before the likes of John Wayne and Chuck Connors used them on the silver screen. It was lighter, faster, and stronger than the 73', and an instant hit. Kind of funny how one of the best selling guns in history was basically designed in less than a month. That was one bet that John Browning definitely won.

spittinfire
05-16-2014, 09:23 AM
How the hell did this thread end up being about y'alls junk? :p

I have to admit, I was wondering that too. Back to CAS weapons!

Lady Glass
05-16-2014, 02:40 PM
AZ and NM were not admitted as states until 1912. It was still wild out here. In some places, it IS STILL wild out here. Just because cattle drives stopped, civilization did not immediately pop up. The 1880's, 1890's, and early 1900's, in the west, were still evolving and untamed. Back east, things may have been different, but don't believe everything in your carpet bagger written history books. Billy the Kid was alive until 1881, Pat Garret was alive until 1908, Wyatt Earp was alive until 1929. Stagecoaches ran until the late 1910's or early 1920's depending on the source you look at. In Texas alone, "in 1894-95, the Rangers scouted 173,381 miles; made 676 arrests; returned 2,856 head of stolen livestock to the owners, assisted civil authorities 162 times and guarded jails on 13 occasions." After that, you have the Mexican Revolution, and the incursions by Pancho Villa into Texas and New Mexico. Black Jack Pershing and his mounted troops were all over this area. The Cav played a large part in the history of the west and it did not stop when the cattle drives stopped. The weapons of the 1880's and 1890's are very appropriate for the SASS and CAS enthusiasts and if you don't agree, restrain yourself to the black powder class and leave the others alone. The dandys who shoot in the "B-Western" class are just living out their childhood fantasies. If you can't have a little fun with a hobby, you should not be doing it.

SteelHorseCowboy
05-16-2014, 06:03 PM
Many doctors recommend plain cold water for mild burns. Avoid petroleum based ointments.

texaswoodworker
05-16-2014, 08:23 PM
Well, it will be here on Tuesday. :D I also have everything i need to reload for it ordered. That stuff should also be here next week. :D

texaswoodworker
05-22-2014, 05:14 AM
I've got the gun, the brass, the bullets, and the dies. I just need the time now, and I can do a review. :p

I will say that this think is handy as heck. I'll have to get used to the crescent buttplate, but that isn't a major thing.

Dzscubie
05-22-2014, 06:20 AM
TWW,

What type of bullet did you buy? RN or RNFP? Please tell me you did not buy jacketed that you bought cast. Have you given any consideration on a load for your CASS round? keep it light to be competetative.

Scubie

texaswoodworker
05-22-2014, 06:36 AM
TWW,

What type of bullet did you buy? RN or RNFP? Please tell me you did not buy jacketed that you bought cast. Have you given any consideration on a load for your CASS round? keep it light to be competetative.

Scubie

I bought hard cast 240gr RNFP I don't buy jacketed for anything unless I have to.

http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=101&category=5&secondary=12&keywords=

I plan on loading the 44 mag to 44-40 levels for competition. It will still be awhile though. I need another revolver and then the shotgun.

texaswoodworker
05-23-2014, 04:44 AM
I loaded a few rounds and ran them through the gun to see how they cycle. I noticed a big problem. About 75% of them would not extract. It would pull them about half way out of the chamber and let go. So I took off the extractor, gave it a good wipe down, and looked for what was causing this problem. The extractor's claw was not quite long enough to get a good hold of the rims. I used a fine file to thin the metal a bit (very little. It just looks like I polished the metal) for the first 2/3s of the length of the extractor so that it would sit just a little bit deeper. I put it back together and ran a couple handfuls of rounds through it. They extracted with 100% reliability. :D

The action is very smooth and the trigger is nice. It looks to already be drilled and tapped for a tang sight. Something I may have to look into later. ;)

texaswoodworker
06-09-2014, 07:06 PM
I shot the gun today, and I really like it. Though, there were a few problems. Once the gun heated up a bit, the extractor quit extracting most shells. So I'm just going to completely replace it. I'll give Rossi a call tomorrow.

The ammo was also a little too hot. I loaded the recommended min load, but the bullet required a slightly different seating depth than the one listed. Same type of bullet though. I don't know if that caused the problem or not. I ended up with a few shells with pierced primers. I'm going to back off the load at least grain or so.