PDA

View Full Version : Found a Glenfield 30A

BigBlue79
04-24-2014, 11:11 PM
When I went to the pawn shop today to have the S&W put on hold, I found a 1980 Glenfield 30A, NOT new to Marlin lever guns whatsoever, I've had two before, last one was a 3087S which was a Dolled up 30AS. Anyway, appears in damned good condition, has a scope, $260. Little brother decided he doesn't want the Rossi Combo gun, hasn't fired it yet at all, so I boxed it up, gonna go back tomorrow and see what he'll do me on it, probably use it for the down on the Glenfield, and get the Glenfield as little brothers first .30-30 :cool:

spittinfire
04-25-2014, 08:54 AM
You can't go wrong with that rifle. It will outlast you and your brother.

BigBlue79
04-25-2014, 12:35 PM
She's in layaway, and is in WAY better condition metal wise than this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=411240668

Has ancient Weaver See Thru rings on it, and and newer Tasco 3-9x40....

BigBlue79
04-25-2014, 10:10 PM
So anyway, the Bluing is like 85% or so. Wood is gonna need refinished, it is checkered like the one I linked in the previous post. The lacquer finish or whatever the hell it is Marlin applied to these stocks(it's ugly is what it is) is wearing off, so that means sand and oil finish, never done oil finish but it's my understanding that it'll bring out the grain and colors in the wood better than a stain or varnish. We shall see!

texaswoodworker
04-25-2014, 10:16 PM
So anyway, the Bluing is like 85% or so. Wood is gonna need refinished, it is checkered like the one I linked in the previous post. The lacquer finish or whatever the hell it is Marlin applied to these stocks(it's ugly is what it is) is wearing off, so that means sand and oil finish, never done oil finish but it's my understanding that it'll bring out the grain and colors in the wood better than a stain or varnish. We shall see!

I recommend an oil/varnish finish. They are easy to do, and not as easy to screw up as a varnish finish. They also offer a bit more protection than just oil.

There are two ways you can do this. Either buy it premixed (I use minwax "tung oil finish"), or mix it yourself. (1/3 tung oil, or boiled linseed oil (cheaper), 1/3 thinner (mineral spirits), and 1/3 varnish (polyurethane, spar urethane, ect))

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/make-your-own-oil-varnish-blend/

Congrats on the new gun, or should I say congrats to your brother. :cool:

I've been needing a lever gun for the collection. I'm thinking of a Rossi in 44-40.

BigBlue79
04-25-2014, 10:22 PM
You oughta get a Ranch Hand in .357 Magnum/.38 Special.

What are your thoughts on Tru-Oil?

Grumpy Old Man
04-25-2014, 10:31 PM
Very nice find, BigBlue79. There's a lot to be said for the simple pleasure of a .30-30 and the pre-Remington Marlins are some of the really good ones.

Enjoy it and cherish it, it will be a part of your family's heritage for many years to come!

Best,
Grumpy

BigBlue79
04-25-2014, 10:35 PM
Thanks Grumpy!

I once handled a Remlin when I worked at Walmart, there was a scratch on the loading gate plate that looked to have been blued over, it was gold colored, and buggered screws, kinda upset me to see such a fine model of rifle in such a bad state from the factory!

Oh, and just call me Blue, no need to type out the whole name! :cool:

texaswoodworker
04-25-2014, 10:49 PM
You oughta get a Ranch Hand in .357 Magnum/.38 Special.

What are your thoughts on Tru-Oil?

I've heard good things. Not sure what all is in it other than oil, or how durable it is.

BigBlue79
04-25-2014, 10:50 PM
Hmm. You got any pics of the type of finish you recommend? I'd like to see how the grain is in those.

texaswoodworker
04-25-2014, 11:05 PM
Hmm. You got any pics of the type of finish you recommend? I'd like to see how the grain is in those.

I don't have any on hand that I've personally finished (working on one now though), but I can look one up for you.

BigBlue79
04-25-2014, 11:06 PM
I don't have any on hand that I've personally finished (working on one now though), but I can look one up for you.

Alright, thanks!

texaswoodworker
04-25-2014, 11:07 PM
http://sparetimeactivities.net/photos/Oils08.jpg

http://www.gligaviolins.com/photos/A8271violin4_4gligacapfata_.jpg

This is tru oil.

http://leafcutterjohn.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/box-w-tru-oil.jpg

BigBlue79
04-25-2014, 11:11 PM
How does the oil/varnish finish hold up to being used on a brush gun?

BigBlue79
04-25-2014, 11:11 PM
Graining really comes out in the Tru oil finish.

texaswoodworker
04-25-2014, 11:36 PM
How does the oil/varnish finish hold up to being used on a brush gun?

Better than just oil, not as good as just varnish. You'd have to give it a good number of coats to build up a protective layer since the varnish in it is drastically thinned.

Let me put it this way, an oil/varnish finish is a compromise between the beauty of oil, the the protectiveness of varnish.

Graining really comes out in the Tru oil finish.

To be honest, any kind of finish that has oil in it will bring out the grain a lot. Most finishes that have oil in them use boiled linseed oil, or tung oil. Tru Oil is most likely no different.

BigBlue79
04-25-2014, 11:40 PM
Hmm.. decisions decisions...

BigBlue79
04-26-2014, 09:37 PM
Little brother is wanting to sell it to me for $250.. I might just take him up on that offer lol.

BigBlue79
04-29-2014, 11:06 PM
If I did decide to do a straight oil finish, what would protect it? Waxing it?

vincent
04-29-2014, 11:39 PM
Tru-Oil...

The small amount of experience I have with it was a very positive one...

Unmixed, straight out of the bottle, it becomes less workable relatively quickly so unless you're working a small area, like say a foregrip as opposed to a whole buttstock, it can be a challenge...

Mixing it with mineral spirits increases the dry time so larger areas can be touched and re-touched in the same application fairly easily...

A very thin first coat is a good rule of thumb, get that right, and it'll make the following coats go on just that much better...

Just plan on doing several coats, like say at least 4 or 5...scuffing in between with 4 naught steel wool...

As far as durability, I can't say for sure, from lack of experience, I don't spend much time in the brush, but from what I've read, people seem pleased with it...:cool:

BigBlue79
04-29-2014, 11:45 PM
I shouldn't worry I guess, it's only a sub $300 Cheapo Marlin. But it's still a Lever Action..

Just thinking of going ahead and staining it, then sealing it with polyurethane clear, take out the oil finish shit.

I'll practice oil finish on some other stocks or pieces of wood.