PDA

View Full Version : For those who thought they could ban semi autos....

Grumpy Old Man
01-14-2014, 12:04 PM
Beautiful pics of the Charlton LMG over at http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/01/09/zealands-bolt-action-machine-gun/

What's it have to do with the title? Simple. The Charlton was a wartime improvisation of the SMLE bolt action, converting it to a somewhat awkward but apparently serviceable light machine gun. Don't believe me? Just look at the pics and drool. There are only a very few of these rare beasts left (most were destroyed in a warehouse fire).

And the next time some **** for brains goes on about banning semi autos, but leaving bolt actions alone - well, just smile with the knowledge that as long as you've got a bolt action, ammo, and basic machine tools, there is always a way to get 'er done.....even if it ain't pretty. Kiwis proved that back in '41, just in case there are any doubters reading this.

Best,
Grumpy
PS In no way am I advocating breaking any of the unconstitutional laws on the books. Just sayin'...

Davy
01-14-2014, 01:18 PM
Bloody hell Grumpy that is some interesting stuff right there.

NitroxAZ
01-14-2014, 01:21 PM
I had never heard of that before. Very enlightening article and thanks for sharing.

Grumpy Old Man
01-14-2014, 04:19 PM
Thanks guys. First read about the Charlton in one of the fine books by sorely missed author Ian Hogg back in the '80's. Only have one pic here - black & white, very grainy. When I saw those outstanding color pics, I just about jumped for joy; they clearly show the intricacies of the gas system and how it joins to the existing bolt action mechanism. Just wish I could get a similar set of pics of the VG 1-5.

Best,
Grumpy
PS If you ever see any book by Ian Hogg, buy it! You won't regret it. The man had a phenomenal knowledge of obscure firearms and military technologies as well as a store of entertaining anecdotes. I believe it was in his book on grenades and mortars that he recounts finding a squaddie cheerfully pounding a tent peg in with a "Korean hammer" (actually it was a Japanese hand grenade left over from the last war...). Fun reading!

Dog
01-14-2014, 06:58 PM
necessity is the mother of all invention ... ain't that the truth! :cool: