PDA

View Full Version : What's your rifle wish list?

Grumpy Old Man
12-20-2013, 10:06 AM
For as long as I've been into guns, I've always had a "wish list" - guns I really wanted but couldn't afford or find. Usually I try to keep it just above what I can afford right now as an incentive to save and work harder, instead of something where there's no possible way I could ever afford one (i.e. no "original Luger in .45ACP" will grace it, since I'm not a Microsoft heir). Anyone else have a list like this? If so, what's on yours?

Here are a couple of the ones on my current "rifle wish list":
1. Forged receiver M14 clone http://www.lrbarms.com/m14riflesstandard.html Sure I've got a SAI with its investment cast receiver and its been a champ. Never jams, shoots as well as I do, eats anything, etc. But I've always wanted the "real deal", just 'cuz. Problem is that the real deal is going to set me back 2x what a SAI did, nearly $3000 after tax. OUCH!

2. FG42 replica http://smgguns.com/?page_id=99
Great, now that I live in a state where FA weapons are legal if all federal laws are complied with I could theoretically buy an honest-to-gosh FG42 - for something like 85 grand. Um, no. A replica will have to do. But 5 grand? Um, not this year. Or probably this decade, unless I get a heckuva good promotion at work (and can sneak it past the wife, but that's another story). But you never know....

3. Same guys who brought us that FG42 replica also have a semi auto BREN gun replica. Nice.......

4. Semi auto only MP40 replica. I can't even find a link, but there was a company years ago putting out a semi auto only MP40 in 9x19. What WWII gun collection can call itself complete without one? This is on the wish list, not because I think I'll ever find or afford one, but because its not quite impossible and its so darn' desirable.

5. Semi auto only Thompson. I'd like two. One in the "roaring twenties" configuration with a drum and the other one like Vic Morrow used to carry on "Combat". Loved that show as a much younger man and always wanted a Thompson. Since the '86 ban, prices on the real deal are outside my reach (and back before the ban in '86 I lived in the People's Republik of Illinois - 'nuff said on why there's no class III stuff in my collection, back when I could afford it, it was illegal where I lived so I had to satisfy my gun lust with AR's, Mini's, Garands, and suchlike). This is probably the one that's most likely to get bought in the next couple years (assuming a. they're still legal and b. my health holds out - nothing strips away the dollar bills from a gun fund, or guns from a collection, faster than a major illness).

So what's on your "I really want one but its a bit out of reach" list?
Best,
Grumpy

devin556
12-20-2013, 10:47 AM
My wish list consist of:
1. An AR10 or similar .308 cal. in an AR platform.
2. A match grade rifle chambered in .338 lapua.
3. A SCAR17. Even though its up there well above what I can afford.
That's my top 3. I really don't think my list has an end to it though.

Grumpy Old Man
12-20-2013, 12:13 PM
My wish list consist of:
1. An AR10 or similar .308 cal. in an AR platform.
2. A match grade rifle chambered in .338 lapua.
3. A SCAR17. Even though its up there well above what I can afford.
That's my top 3. I really don't think my list has an end to it though.
Mine doesn't have an ending point either, really. I want two of everything and three each of the ones I really like. But I do have to prioritize...

BTW, ever see an early AR10? http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/598274_.html A few parts kits were brought in a while back but they were out of reach. Now the rifles built on those kits are up there in the "unobtainium" price category. Not really what you're looking for as a shooter, but it would be a heckuva nice collector's piece! What I really dig about the pix in that article is that you can see the line of development from AR10 to AR15. And some of the features like the adjustable rear sight drum were dropped in the transition but picked up again later on the alpha deuce. That super early AR10 is on my list too, but down a ways....

Best,
Grumpy

Davy
12-20-2013, 12:36 PM
I am still awaiting my licence upgrade for my AR. I have everything crossed.

Grumpy Old Man
12-20-2013, 01:02 PM
I am still awaiting my licence upgrade for my AR. I have everything crossed.

Nice! When the paperwork clears, what configuration are you going for? Original A1, alpha deuce, M4gery or something else? And a dumb question if you don't mind - will you be able to get different uppers on the same paperwork so you could have a multicaliber gun? Say a .22LR/5.56x45/6.8Rem/.300AAC set of uppers, for example?

My fingers are crossed that your paperwork clears with no hassles.
Good luck and all the best,
Grumpy

Tri70
12-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Ruger scout 308
10/22 takedown
Ammo for all.

spittinfire
12-20-2013, 01:54 PM
Marlin 1894 in 357 and 44
1895 in 45-70
AR-10
10-22 Takedown

jpattersonnh
12-20-2013, 06:41 PM
Me, I keep it simple. Although I liked the AK74 Clone, I want more punch. Mouse guns are not completely off the table though. Low Budget.

C93 in 5.56
FAL 7.62x51

Gator
12-20-2013, 07:07 PM
S&w m&p ar10